pricise10

SaltwatertFishing Show (Edison)

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, levari said:

Not going to miss it...What time is P10 seminar? Topic?

My seminar has move for tomorrow Friday, the topic will be about, how to remove treble hooks safely using your hands from a bluefish mouth. 

Only a few deals but not much anything to brag. Did pick up salty squid from Senko Skipper booth which I will try to use on a bucktail and hope it works as well as pork. Ran into Capt. Paul and Dave from wicked tuna which was cool. Paul had the "Make fishing great again" hat on which was turning heads.

That was probably the worst fishing show I've ever been to.  No shot to the seminars, I didn't stick around for any of them, but there were only a few booths with tackle from established shops, with prices no different than visiting them directly or online.  Nothing really cool or new at the show, and plenty of booths with 'pro staff' that weren't very helpful.

Considering the cost of admission, not something I'm doing again.  I attended last year and wasn't very impressed, but found myself in Jersey and I figured I'd stop by to see if things had improved.  Not sure because I didn't compare, but it seemed a lot less empty (vendor-wise) than it did last year.

Compared to the Ward Melville show in LI - a complete bust.  Kudos again to WM!

Hit it Saturday and picked up a lot of stuff for the kayak.  Found some really good deals.  Here's a tip, ask the vendors if the sale price is firm before agreeing to purchase.  1 of 3 things will happen, they will be willing to negotiate, offer to sweeten the deal or say no.  None that I asked said no.  The guy selling the $7 YoZuri products may have had the best deal going.  Mag Darters, Hydros, XRaps etc.  Made sure I grabbed a number of those.  Grabbed 2 rods for the kayak that were already discounted and the vendor knocked a few more dollars off after I asked. 

Seek out deals, they are waiting to be found.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, fishless said:

Hit it Saturday and picked up a lot of stuff for the kayak.  Found some really good deals.  Here's a tip, ask the vendors if the sale price is firm before agreeing to purchase.  1 of 3 things will happen, they will be willing to negotiate, offer to sweeten the deal or say no.  None that I asked said no.  The guy selling the $7 YoZuri products may have had the best deal going.  Mag Darters, Hydros, XRaps etc.  Made sure I grabbed a number of those.  Grabbed 2 rods for the kayak that were already discounted and the vendor knocked a few more dollars off after I asked. 

Seek out deals, they are waiting to be found.

Eggactly, my son was shopping around for the new accurate tern which cost about $280 retail. He went to a couple of vendors and some of them said they will only take $10 off, so he kept searching and got a sweet deal $245 brand new. Seek and should find the deal. 

Edited by pricise10

23 hours ago, The Fishing Nerd said:

Considering the cost of admission, not something I'm doing again.  I attended last year and wasn't very impressed, but found myself in Jersey and I figured I'd stop by to see if things had improved.  Not sure because I didn't compare, but it seemed a lot less empty (vendor-wise) than it did last year

Thanks for sharing was debating going will keep that in mind next year.

It's not that there were no deals to be found - but for a big show with a $12 entrance, there were too many vendors that just had boxes full of crap you had to sort through to find anything of substance.

You had a lot of Chinese/off brand stuff - like the guys selling 70 hooks for $10 (that looked like someone bought a box of 10,000 from China for $20), or the guy who was selling knockoff SS needles sometime back (it seems he made some changes to not be a direct copy).

There were some good vendor booths - but places that you can hit up online for the same price, where you can take your time to look through their entire inventory online (not just the smaller selection they bring to the show) and usually get free shipping or no sales tax or some coupon to help further reduce the cost (for bigger ticket items like a rod or reel).

If I needed another reel, maybe, if I wanted to see it up close - but even then I'd rather go to a B&T and take my time and check the thing out rather than be in closed quarters with people shoving by every 10 sec.

Then there were the booths that had no use to me - stupid t-shirts, pickles, jerky, guides for places nowhere close to this area, boat cleaner/wax (this stupid booth turns up at every car, boat and fishing show and it's equally useless throughout).

I go to these things to pass the time in the offseason when there's no fish to be caught, so i don't have great expectations.  Even with little in terms of expectation, this one was disappointing.  I'd rather go to a fishing flea market or a show set up by a fishing club, where at least there's someone benefitting from the entry fee (when there is one).

Caveat here - if you find value in the seminars, then that might have made it worth the price of admission.  I didn't go to any because I was short on time, but I've gone to shows where the best part were the seminars.