beerdoh

Rod Recommendation

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I usually don't ask for rod advice but I'm on the fence as to what to buy. I want a new rod for a specific location that has a lot of current and sometimes big fish. Depending on conditions I throw plugs and jigs mostly in the 2 to 3 oz range but occasionally as low as 1.5 oz.

I sometimes throw 2 to 3 oz. pencils and poppers there but mostly it's darters and jigs in the same range.

I'm currently using a 9'6" Tsunami Airwave Elite 3/4-3 oz. and it's handled the conditions and plugs impressively. All I'm looking for is a little more fish fighting power to get the big girls in faster on big tides. 

I like a moderate fast rod and want to stay with a 9'6" if possible as it's a perfect size for this location and pairs well with my VR150. 

Must be high-stickable. Must be light. Want to keep it under $400.

I'm looking at the Black Hole Cape Cod Special 9'6" 1-5 oz. but concerned it might be too beefy.

The ODM FrontierX looks like it might fit the bill but really don't want to spend $460.

The ODM Genesis 10' has the rating range I want but doesn't come in a 9'6".

Any suggestions would be welcome, especially from people who can compare other rods to Airwave Elite 9'6" in the above conditions. 

The St Croix Avid series rods come in a 9'6 MH that is a mod-fast action, and stickers for $340. The MH rod is rated for 2-6oz, which is a step up from your 9'6 Airwave Elite. 

I own the 11' Avid MH and it's my CC canal rod. I also mainly fish a 10'6 Airwave Elite in NJ and the south shore of LI, and love the rod for the money. The only thing I would say is that I don't know how well the rod would do if you high stuck it; but otherwise it's in the exact range of what you're looking for. 

21 hours ago, beerdoh said:

I usually don't ask for rod advice but I'm on the fence as to what to buy. I want a new rod for a specific location that has a lot of current and sometimes big fish. Depending on conditions I throw plugs and jigs mostly in the 2 to 3 oz range but occasionally as low as 1.5 oz.

I sometimes throw 2 to 3 oz. pencils and poppers there but mostly it's darters and jigs in the same range.

I'm currently using a 9'6" Tsunami Airwave Elite 3/4-3 oz. and it's handled the conditions and plugs impressively. All I'm looking for is a little more fish fighting power to get the big girls in faster on big tides. 

I like a moderate fast rod and want to stay with a 9'6" if possible as it's a perfect size for this location and pairs well with my VR150. 

I'm looking at the Black Hole Cape Cod Special 9'6" 1-5 oz. but concerned it might be too beefy.

The ODM FrontierX looks like it might fit the bill but really don't want to spend $460.

Any suggestions would be welcome, especially from people who can compare other rods to Airwave Elite 9'6" in the above conditions. 

hi buddy, if you want to keep it $400, or less, Black Hole rod you mentioned, yes beefy, in the sense that, the rod can and will handle larger fish, also will throw any one ounce lure or plug you got,  plus dollar for dollar, on the retail price, good.....

1 hour ago, lureman said:

hi buddy, if you want to keep it $400, or less, Black Hole rod you mentioned, yes beefy, in the sense that, the rod can and will handle larger fish, also will throw any one ounce lure or plug you got,  plus dollar for dollar, on the retail price, good.....

I'm definitely leaning towards the Black Hole.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 3/13/2019 at 11:32 AM, beerdoh said:

beerdoh

You named some nice rods in the ODM line-up. However you may want to take a good look at the NEX1.  Weather you choose the 935 rated at 1/2 - 3 1/2oz. lure rating, that has a drag rating of 18lbs; or move up to the 95 with a lure rating of 1 - 5 oz. that has fish turning back bone your looking for, with a impressive 20 lbs. drag rating.

I would recommend putting a 6" butt extension in the two blanks listed above. I did last spring with the 935 and could not be happier with the results. I cast the stock 9' - 935 that was OK, but what I ended up with was a better casting, handling rod with enhanced performance. The rods lure range was right there and the extra backbone had me lobbing 4oz. plugs. I feel the extra rod length adds to the performance in cast distance and when working a pencil or spook. Your VR150 should be a perfect match. I have the ZB22 on mine. My outfit is primarily used in the back bay and is a hell of a lot fun working the calmer waters.

If you go with the NEX1 - 95 with 6" butt extension. You end up with a rod with more fish fighting power, to get the big girls in faster, on big tides. All in all when your done, you will be right at or slightly over budget. But you will have a custom built rod for yourself, your reel, and the way you want it.

Good Luck and tight lines.

Lou T

Edited by Lou T

You don't have to spend lots of money to buy a rod. 9'6" Black Hole Suzuki rod is super light and cost only $195. But the rod can do what other heavy and expensive rods can do.

IMG_1798.jpg

Edited by ksong

10 hours ago, beerdoh said:

Thanks Lou. Great suggestions. 

Your quite welcome beerdoh. I would go with the NEX1 95 so you don't end up with basically the same rod. Check out cutting 5 - 6" off the NEX1 105, not sure the same results is achieved. Maybe a professional rod builder can answer this question. I think the cut version of the 105 might have slightly less backbone than the 95 with the extension. 

Lou

Edited by Lou T

1 hour ago, jimmy z said:

I wonder how they handled this, diagnosis and prognosis, for a strangulated hernia in ancient times of olden days. I can't imagine:howdy: 

Less drag, just because the force is with you! Don't mean you must show or use every last bit of it. You'll get pulled off your rock.

But it's nice to have a little left under the hood for when you need it....;)

42 mins ago, Lou T said:

Less drag, just because the force is with you! Don't mean you must show or use every last bit of it. You'll get pulled off your rock.

But it's nice to have a little left under the hood for when you need it....;)

Lol, I wondered where my post went. 

I picked up a 10'6" Black Hole Suzuki rod. It will be a lighter setup but I've heard Kill mention he's thrown 3 oz with it no problem. I think the 9'6" would be better suited for you and it's under $200. Just waiting on it to be shipped. I'll let you know how it goes. I