adams54

Fluking from the surf with spearing.

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

24 mins ago, The Fishing Nerd said:

and if you can get past eating bait, they're not a bad fish to fry up for a snack.  As bait they don't need to stay alive, but once they've been dead for a bit they start to go soft.

Now you told everyone what I'll be eating in a shtf scenario

23 hours ago, sytheteacher said:

I go to the supermarket and ask the gentleman in the fish department what clams and shrimp are old and is going to discard that I can use for fishing..Most of the time I can get ten to twenty pounds of clams and shrimp for free..What I do is shuck and salt down the clams and shrimp and make portions in sandwich bags and freeze them.Then when I want to go fishing I grab a bag of shrimp maybe it will have a dozen pieces in it. By the time I get to the water the shrimp is thawed out and ready to place on a hook. The bigger the shrimp the better.. I also use these shrimp for stripers.... Good luck this fishing season,Sy  

Ok thanks.I never tried this. I've always used a bucktail and teaser. 

2 mins ago, Buckscorider said:

Ok thanks.I never tried this. I've always used a bucktail and teaser. 

I also ask for the Smelts that are getting old... They look like 6 to 10 inch Spearing.. Sometimes I would add a Smelt to the hook on a bucktail lure and bounce bottom.. Tried for Fluke and caught humongous Blues and Stripers ....But the best is the Squid as bait...

Egg sinker

20" leader

Salmon hook - Gamakatsu 2310 Size 1 would be a good one

(yes, size 1 ISYN - I didn't believe it either but it was proven to me otherwise about 30 years ago and it's been working for me ever since then)

I fish a high low with bucktail and gulp on bottom with a teaser about 14" above tipped with gulp. I seem to go 50/50 with gulp and fresh bait. Had my PB on bunker chunk last year in way deep water off boat. 

17 hours ago, Spigola said:

One word, GULP.  Fished on either a jig head or bucktail.

The 5" jerkshad in natural colors is a good spearing imitator on the rare occasion they're keyed in on any one bait. 

99% of the time, a 5" mullet on a 1/2oz jig will get the job done. No seining, no defrosting shrimp on the beach...pin the gulp to your jig and start catching. 

A guy I know tips his jig head with dead spearing using a high low type fluke rig with the weighted head on the bottom. He does pretty well with it. 

I’m also on the gulp bandwagon. I really do believe it outfishes natural but just by a little. But the real advantage is it’s ability to get hit numerous times, stays on aggressively jigging it, and numerous colors to cover different water conditions and fishes moods

Do any of you Gulp guys use the worms (sand or blood)?  I usually use a swimming mullet on a bucktail on the bottom and a piece of squid on a teaser up top when I'm jigging.  I went out on a charter last season (not for fluke), and the captain was telling me that the best fluking he does used a Gulp worm.  He didn't have one to show us, but he swore that was more effective than any other bait or imitation.

I only found bloodworm Gulp, but it was so narrow it didn't look very convincing, and it didn't fish very well the two times I tried.