adams54

Fluking from the surf with spearing.

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Hey guys what type of hooks/rigs do you use to catch fluke from the surf using live spearing? Theres a lot of different ways to do it but I'd like to find a method that can help minimize gut hooking. Any info is much appreciated. Thanks

Last season I used a fishfinder rig with a 36 inch leader attached to a 4/0 circle hook....The Fluke ended off catching them selves with the circle hook...

1 min ago, sytheteacher said:

Last season I used a fishfinder rig with a 36 inch leader attached to a 4/0 circle hook....The Fluke ended off catching them selves with the circle hook...

So I take it you had a pretty good hookup ratio. How well did the circle hooks help with gut hooking?

Not one gut hook for any fish that I was going for.  Basically all my hooks that I have been using are circle hooks..For bait fishing I am using Sabiki rigs that are made with size 12 circle hooks...Last year I purchased 5/0 circle Sabiki rigs that I found to be very productive for Fluke....On this rig I have also caught Stripers..

To get live Spearing you have to catch them yourself with a drop or throw net...Most of my Fluke fishing is done with Shrimp...

"A Day In The Life Of A Party Boat Mate"

I attended this seminar. There was A little boy there who needed A hair cut.

He works as A mate on A party boat. He was on stage explaining how he

ties A loop and threads the hook on the loop. He's able to work the hook

out the gill and remove the hook from the loop and then the line just slides

out. Last he threads the hook back on the loop.

1 hour ago, sytheteacher said:

To get live Spearing you have to catch them yourself with a drop or throw net...Most of my Fluke fishing is done with Shrimp...

What kind of shrimp?

7 hours ago, sytheteacher said:

Not one gut hook for any fish that I was going for.  Basically all my hooks that I have been using are circle hooks..For bait fishing I am using Sabiki rigs that are made with size 12 circle hooks...Last year I purchased 5/0 circle Sabiki rigs that I found to be very productive for Fluke....On this rig I have also caught Stripers..

Good info..where do you find sabiki rigs with 5/0 circle hooks? Are the hooks dressed at all? I 

Shrimp gumbo,shrimp cakes, shrimp sandwich...

I find Spearing too delicate to fish - they come off too easy on the cast, have had better luck using minnows, they tend to be more hearty overall. To avoid guthooks I find it imperative to use perfect circles, smaller the better.

Posted (edited) · Report post

22 hours ago, Buckscorider said:

What kind of shrimp?

I go to the supermarket and ask the gentleman in the fish department what clams and shrimp are old and is going to discard that I can use for fishing..Most of the time I can get ten to twenty pounds of clams and shrimp for free..What I do is shuck and salt down the clams and shrimp and make portions in sandwich bags and freeze them.Then when I want to go fishing I grab a bag of shrimp maybe it will have a dozen pieces in it. By the time I get to the water the shrimp is thawed out and ready to place on a hook. The bigger the shrimp the better.. I also use these shrimp for stripers.... Good luck this fishing season,Sy  

Edited by sytheteacher

On 3/13/2019 at 10:14 AM, adams54 said:

Hey guys what type of hooks/rigs do you use to catch fluke from the surf using live spearing? Theres a lot of different ways to do it but I'd like to find a method that can help minimize gut hooking. Any info is much appreciated. Thanks

Fish it off a high hook, dropper loop or dropshot. Weight on bottom. Lob it out, feel the bite...set the hook. No countdown...as soon as you get bit, reel down your slack and set the hook.  

A fishfinder type rig + heavy/insensitive tackle = guthooks. Force the fish to leave bottom and you'll know when you get bit; as soon as they eat your bait they are turning back to the bottom. Dragging your spearing along behind a heavy sinker...they tend to mouth and swim with it.

30 mins ago, Fi**** 2 said:

Shrimp gumbo,shrimp cakes, shrimp sandwich...

I find Spearing too delicate to fish - they come off too easy on the cast, have had better luck using minnows, they tend to be more hearty overall. To avoid guthooks I find it imperative to use perfect circles, smaller the better.

Fresh spearing won't do that to you - frozen on the other hand is like trying to put a piece of fishcake on a hook.

23 hours ago, sytheteacher said:

A seine net is your friend, if you have the time and someone who doesn't mind holding the other end.  The North Fork is full of 'em, and if you can get past eating bait, they're not a bad fish to fry up for a snack.  As bait they don't need to stay alive, but once they've been dead for a bit they start to go soft.

I always tip with a piece of squid too, works like a charm.