HugeDinghy

2019 fishing goals

Rate this topic

68 posts in this topic

what are your fishing goals for 2019...new species...new places....new techniques you want to get better at...…personal bests.....?

My goal is to beat my PB; learn a new spot; and start focusing on the lower part of the water column more.  I have been to focused on swimming plugs (wood and plastic), and not tossing enough lead or swim shads.  And to try and fish more, not just during "optimal" conditions.

11 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

what are your fishing goals for 2019...new species...new places....new techniques you want to get better at...…personal bests.....?

Will be singularly focused on needlefish lures this season.  I did bucktails last year and got very good with them.  Have to be disciplined enough to stick with the needles.  I think that the only way to do that is to leave everything else in the car.

I'm fairly new to surf casting.  I would say that my goals are to simply become more versed in some different lures and baits.  I would like to try eel fishing and catch some larger bass as well...

I'm looking forward to getting back into Northeast fishing.  I'll be logging some windshield time between Jersey and Boston for the new job so I'll throw some gear in the truck and check out new areas to surf fish.  I also get a kick out of drifting live eels for bass on boats.  Will hit any open party charter boats in RI, CT, NY etc while I'm out and about. 

I want to catch a pike and a Muskie as well. 

Fish more than last year, and that was a lot. But really to fish at night with Eels more and more Flounder fishing. All from the surf , Eels at inlet.

For the salt, a PB fluke is my goal; I need to break the 8lb mark!

In the sweet water, a PB largemouth bass on the fly would do it. Currently sitting at just over 3 lbs.

Other than that, I'd love a couple good surf striper trips and a few bluefin tuna in the summer! 

Im proud to say I accomplished my 2018 personal goals.

Looking forward to 2019:

Consistantly catch bigger tog

Fish Atleast 3 nights a week in season

Pattern my newer back bay spots.

Find atleast one more new spot in the back

Weigh or Measure a 40# fish since I didnt get to weigh the ones I estimated last year

Continue to figure out Montauk. Last year was a fun year at the end for me. I fished for 3 days and nights alone with giant fish all around me. (Ill be more prepared this year)

Goodluck in 2019 to all. Please release your females in the Spring

I know it may sound stupid but I have always wanted to pick a nice hole/cut......and fish the exact same spot for 12 hours of so......definitly two whole tides......and the same lure varying speed and presentation just to see. if there is one specific time the bite will be on.........could be boring.....or I could learn alot.....

5 mins ago, beret said:

I know it may sound stupid but I have always wanted to pick a nice hole/cut......and fish the exact same spot for 12 hours of so......definitly two whole tides......and the same lure varying speed and presentation just to see. if there is one specific time the bite will be on.........could be boring.....or I could learn alot.....

I highly reccomend this. The more time you can consecutively spend on the water, the more versed youll be regarding fish movement in correlation with the water movement and depth

Fish more, keep better records (wind, tide, moon, etc.).  Use more of my tackle, I buy a ton of crap and end up using about 10% of it every year.

That, and more time out on the kayak, but that's less fishing and more for exercise.

Hopefully catch more fish.

Get a few more evenings in this spring. Throw more BT's and poppers. 

10 lb. weakfish

PB flounder needs a serious update. Still holding since 2003. Blew it last year. 

Mess around with different flounder setups and try different back bay spots. 

Maybe get a reef trip for some sea bass.  

Hope for a more successful fall, doesn't matter what species.