Rod butt weights on ODM

Rate this topic

Goldy

I'm wondering what the best solution is to add some weight to the end of the odm rod i own.  I pick it up and the tip dips, so I want it to be weighted a little different.  I was just concerned with the  butt weight kits out there and want to make sure I buy the correct one.

Any thoughts would be great

you could always glue an egg sinker ( or 2) to the inside of the butt cap.   Clean and cheap.  Obviously, figure out how much weight you need before hand.  Im sure the plug makers could get you a piece of lead shaped in a cylinder that would fit inside the blank.  good luck

21 hours ago, Goldy said:

Yeah, that was my thought, but how do you prevent it from sliding up and down.... or it just wedges in

Clean and abrade the blank where the weights will go then 5 min epoxy them into place.   YOu could give heavy duty hot glue a try but Id bet the 5 min will hold up better.  

U better off find out why not balancing and fix/adjust it;  is it seat position? Or reel size?   It is painful to remove the extra weight glue with epoxy if one piece;  -

Rod length , rating? And your reel make/model? Butt to mod reel seat measurement? 

redo/design the handle shrink wrap with additional cork can add 1-2oz weight Or maybe you end up clean and rebuild to fit ur reel or buying new reel ;  

MH sells 2 types of weighted butt caps - I prefer the Fuji, tho if your using yr stick as a wading staff, glue or tape it up ...

Morone Saxatilis... God put them in the Surf to take them, not in the freaking boat!

2 hours ago, Goldy said:

Im sorry i should have provided more info

10’ odm 3/4-4oz.  I have a vs 200 on there 

its a mfg rod so im not going to redo it.   I was just hoping to weight it qt the butt a little. 

That seems a little odd. I have the 10'6" frontier x, 3/4-4 with a 200 on it. It almost balances perfectly level right above the reel. I'm guessing the reel is @ 23-24" up. To me, the thought of adding any weight to a rod doesn't make a lot of sense. Granted, it will feel different butt vs tip, but I'm still not going to do that.

ps - I do not consider 'balance' when I build a rod - I put the reel where I want and fish it.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

30 mins ago, Drew C. said:

That seems a little odd. I have the 10'6" frontier x, 3/4-4 with a 200 on it. It almost balances perfectly level right above the reel. I'm guessing the reel is @ 23-24" up. To me, the thought of adding any weight to a rod doesn't make a lot of sense. Granted, it will feel different butt vs tip, but I'm still not going to do that.

ps - I do not consider 'balance' when I build a rod - I put the reel where I want and fish it.

Agreed here, more on your height, casting style , jig or plug and how u want to flight the fish with the rod; and also find the sweet seat spot to load the rod for distance is more important.... some my rods 9- 10’ i move the seat to 18”  from butt for a purpose.  So i wont be worry balance here like Drew said;

also adding 2oz weight is alot to a setup (rod and reel and line) and u will hate it later;  note: i am trying to remove rod weight , any weight removed helps with 10hrs of nonstop fish hahaha 

4 hours ago, Goldy said:

Im sorry i should have provided more info

10’ odm 3/4-4oz.  I have a vs 200 on there 

its a mfg rod so im not going to redo it.   I was just hoping to weight it qt the butt a little. 

I should have said the weight i added was to conventional rods, older lamiglas and Kfisher very top heavy. Don't think i ever added to spinning rod.but if you need to should be easy to find something to put under but cap.