iputmyhoursin

Shimano SpeedMaster Surf Rods

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

1 min ago, Reed422 said:

I figured it wasn’t a great warranty for the price. 

That seems to be the standard these days. TFO still offers a lifetime warranty, but even ODM is 1 year, at least on the DNA line.

29 mins ago, ATH1089 said:

That seems to be the standard these days. TFO still offers a lifetime warranty, but even ODM is 1 year, at least on the DNA line.

I have a Odm Genesis 2-6, 1 year warranty. 

I got the 12' Speedmaster conventional for chunking (3-10oz) and took it out today as it was rather nice... I am not a great caster by any means and my reel that I am using rn is rather old (my grandpa's old Penn 350 Levelline.) But I didn't have any issues hitting the 100+ yard mark. I know a straight sinker is not the best judge but it loaded/handled well with everything from 4-8oz 

On 3/17/2019 at 7:10 PM, ATH1089 said:

Ran downstairs and took some crappy cell phone pictures. Best I can do at the moment. Rod sections, looking up the guides from the butt, first guide, rod tip.

0317191858.jpg

0317191901_Burst01.jpg

0317191904.jpg

0317191905.jpg

Any chance you could weigh that thing? I wish more rod companies would put the weight of the rod on their listing. My shoulder is messed up I need to use a lighter rod. Would prefer like 2-6oz rods but I think I may have to downgrade to 1-4.

24 mins ago, Reed422 said:

Any chance you could weigh that thing? I wish more rod companies would put the weight of the rod on their listing. My shoulder is messed up I need to use a lighter rod. Would prefer like 2-6oz rods but I think I may have to downgrade to 1-4.

You got, man. My little Harbor Freight scale says 11.37 ounces. It is usually pretty accurate, so give it a + or - of half an ounce or so.

8 mins ago, ATH1089 said:

You got, man. My little Harbor Freight scale says 11.37 ounces. It is usually pretty accurate, so give it a + or - of half an ounce or so.

thanks, that's not bad.

On 3/20/2019 at 0:51 PM, ATH1089 said:

Thanks for weighing it.   That doesn't sound that light for a 10' rod.  In comparison, the Okuma Rockaway 10' 1-4 oz rod is only 9.5 oz and the Rockaway 11' 3/4 -3 oz is 10.5 oz.  Both have extremely light tips, and seem to throw close to the top end of their rating.  Not  likely going to be as durable as the Shimanos perhaps.   So far I've been quite pleased with the Rockaway rods.

If anybody picks up the 10'6" 11' o r 12' models of the Speedmasters can you also weigh them? 

13 mins ago, Killiefish said:

Thanks for weighing it.   That doesn't sound that light for a 10' rod.  In comparison, the Okuma Rockaway 10' 1-4 oz rod is only 9.5 oz and the Rockaway 11' 3/4 -3 oz is 10.5 oz.  Both have extremely light tips, and seem to throw close to the top end of their rating.  Not  likely going to be as durable as the Shimanos perhaps.   So far I've been quite pleased with the Rockaway rods.

If anybody picks up the 10'6" 11' o r 12' models of the Speedmasters can you also weigh them? 

Next time I head out I will try to rememeber some heavier sinkers to see how it does with more weight. I do not have any plugs heavier than 2oz or so right now.

On 3/17/2019 at 11:37 PM, Micronik said:

I have a Odm Genesis 2-6, 1 year warranty. 

I got the 12' Speedmaster conventional for chunking (3-10oz) and took it out today as it was rather nice... I am not a great caster by any means and my reel that I am using rn is rather old (my grandpa's old Penn 350 Levelline.) But I didn't have any issues hitting the 100+ yard mark. I know a straight sinker is not the best judge but it loaded/handled well with everything from 4-8oz 

The Penn 350 is an excellent reel.. It is my go to surf casting reel.. 

Saw these at the rhode island show this weekend. The blank was much thicker than expected. Decent finish and guides but I'd much prefer a black hole, star, or tfo at this price range.