iputmyhoursin

Shimano SpeedMaster Surf Rods

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, ATH1089 said:

Fished the rod for about half an hour this evening. Not enough to do a full review, but here are my first impressions. The tip heaviness that I noted previously is unnoticeable when casting and retrieving. Total non-issue. I threw plugs between 1 and 2 ounces; the heaviest thing I had was a Guppy pencil. It handled everything comfortably, without putting a lot of effort into the cast. I got satisfactory distance on the Guppy. If I had not been half assing the cast and not been dealing with a cross wind I am certain I could get more.

I want to fish it under other conditions to get a better feel for the sensitivity. Today, I found that I was having trouble feeling the plugs working, but the water was pretty rough. Jury is still out. I did feel a bit of a wobble from the reel. Not sure what was happening there, but it was my first time fishing the reel as well. So far, pretty light, and easy to cast a good distance. I am looking forward to putting it through its paces this year and seeing what it can do.

My set up: 10' Shimano Speedmaster, Penn Spinfisher VI 5500, blue J-braid 40lb. Various plugs.

Thanks for the review ATH, looks promsing.

20 mins ago, klunkers said:

Thanks  for the  update  gonna  stop  at Grumpys  and check  one out Saturday. 

That is where I got mine. Last I checked, they had the 9', 10', and 11' all for $149.99.

1 hour ago, ATH1089 said:

That is where I got mine. Last I checked, they had the 9', 10', and 11' all for $149.99.

It's interesting how the price doesn't fluctuate 

12 mins ago, Reed422 said:

It's interesting how the price doesn't fluctuate 

I thought that was strange as well. Seems like a smaller rod = less material = lower cost. Not sure what explains this one.

26 mins ago, ATH1089 said:

I thought that was strange as well. Seems like a smaller rod = less material = lower cost. Not sure what explains this one.

Get it, while the gettings good. Got myself the 10'6

They also make it in 11' and 12' versions.  Anyone try out the 11ft medium heavy 2-6oz?  Or the 12' 2-6"??  In the photos it seems that for all the surf spinning rods, the first collector guide is on the top half of the rod.  No guides at all on the bottom half.   Perhaps this is why the rod seems tip heavy?  I understand that the first guide position has to do with line path issues and larger diameter reels.

On 3/15/2019 at 8:42 AM, ATH1089 said:

Can you take a few pix of the rod and guide layout?

36 mins ago, Reed422 said:

Can you take a few pix of the rod and guide layout?

Ran downstairs and took some crappy cell phone pictures. Best I can do at the moment. Rod sections, looking up the guides from the butt, first guide, rod tip.

0317191858.jpg

0317191901_Burst01.jpg

0317191904.jpg

0317191905.jpg

O.k. so wrong about the first guide being on the top section at least for the 10' rod show in photos.  I wonder which rod I was looking at that had all guides on the top half - maybe it was the 9' one.

On 3/13/2019 at 8:42 PM, ATH1089 said:

It just feels like there is more weight in the tip of the rod than I am used to. With the reel mounted, the point of balance is farther forward than on my other 10' rod. I have felt the same thing in some Ticas. It could just be me, I guess.

Glad im not the only one that experienced that with Ticas. For a while there I thought i was crazy. Picked up an 8’ USGA 1/2 - 2oz a while back. Had it paired with a reel that seemed perfect in size but during the first outing it became painfully obvious that the rod was tip heavy. Tried a couple more reels and stashed it away since nothing seemed to work. Forward a year later, while gearing up for spring, i came across it again and on a whim paired it with a fin-nor LT60 and took it out for a spin...perfect match. Ever since then it has become my favorite light back bay spinner. Lesson learned was that rods designed for surf, even those with lighter ratings, will often require a much heavier reel than initially thought in order to achieve a desired balance. Which is a subjective matter in itself. However, for myself it means a paired rod that stays in a level position when lifted with one finger right above the end of the reel spool.