iputmyhoursin

Shimano SpeedMaster Surf Rods

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

I haven't purchased one yet, but did take a close look at them at a local fishing show. They looked real nice for the money, right in there with the Airwave Elite from Tsunami and Insane Surf from Lamiglas. Similar to the Tiralejo, minus some of the features and gloss finish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TopwaterPete said:

I haven't purchased one yet, but did take a close look at them at a local fishing show. They looked real nice for the money, right in there with the Airwave Elite from Tsunami and Insane Surf from Lamiglas. Similar to the Tiralejo, minus some of the features and gloss finish.

Are they light?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just ordered one, too cheap to pass up. If they are similar to the daiwa coastal surf's I'll be happy. 50/50 split, fuji guides and a butt cap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, iputmyhoursin said:

I just ordered one, too cheap to pass up. If they are similar to the daiwa coastal surf's I'll be happy. 50/50 split, fuji guides and a butt cap.

Sold!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked up a 10' model couple of weeks ago to go with my Spinfisher VI 5500. It is indeed very light, not sure on the exact weight. Feels a bit lighter than the ODM DNA of the same length. A little bit tip heavy in my opinion, but not obnoxiously so. I am going to try to get out and fish it tomorrow or Friday and will report back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ATH1089 said:

I picked up a 10' model couple of weeks ago to go with my Spinfisher VI 5500. It is indeed very light, not sure on the exact weight. Feels a bit lighter than the ODM DNA of the same length. A little bit tip heavy in my opinion, but not obnoxiously so. I am going to try to get out and fish it tomorrow or Friday and will report back.

When you  say tip heavy what does that mean? Stiff?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, klunkers said:

When you  say tip heavy what does that mean? Stiff?

It just feels like there is more weight in the tip of the rod than I am used to. With the reel mounted, the point of balance is farther forward than on my other 10' rod. I have felt the same thing in some Ticas. It could just be me, I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2019 at 8:47 PM, klunkers said:

Thanks  looking at  getting the 10'6 anxious  to  here how  it fishes for you. 

Fished the rod for about half an hour this evening. Not enough to do a full review, but here are my first impressions. The tip heaviness that I noted previously is unnoticeable when casting and retrieving. Total non-issue. I threw plugs between 1 and 2 ounces; the heaviest thing I had was a Guppy pencil. It handled everything comfortably, without putting a lot of effort into the cast. I got satisfactory distance on the Guppy. If I had not been half assing the cast and not been dealing with a cross wind I am certain I could get more.

 

I want to fish it under other conditions to get a better feel for the sensitivity. Today, I found that I was having trouble feeling the plugs working, but the water was pretty rough. Jury is still out. I did feel a bit of a wobble from the reel. Not sure what was happening there, but it was my first time fishing the reel as well. So far, pretty light, and easy to cast a good distance. I am looking forward to putting it through its paces this year and seeing what it can do.

 

My set up: 10' Shimano Speedmaster, Penn Spinfisher VI 5500, blue J-braid 40lb. Various plugs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.