striper52

Wading jacket

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Hello,  The season is fast approaching and I’m looking for a wading jacket. Does anybody have some suggestions without breaking the bank?    Thanks

If you don’t mind wet cuffs and water coming inside the arms then get a fly fishing jacket. If you don’t like that then consider a kayak touring jacket which has rubber wrist seals.

Mike

Check out Simms.com.  They had put some jackets on clearance.  Got one myself that was $379 for $149.  Hopefully some left 

3 hours ago, dlaurend said:

Check out Simms.com.  They had put some jackets on clearance.  Got one myself that was $379 for $149.  Hopefully some left 

they still have that on the sierratradingpost

Posted (edited) · Report post

Patagonia SST is by far the best I've owned and still going (and I've owned a few) - but if you want to keep dry in the surf go fo a kayak cag as Mike says, cheaper too.

Had a Simms Guide jacket a few years ago and got a 100% refund which tells a story.

Edited by JRT

2 hours ago, JRT said:

Patagonia SST is by far the best I've owned and still going (and I've owned a few) - but if you want to keep dry in the surf go fo a kayak cag as Mike says, cheaper too.

Had a Simms Guide jacket a few years ago and got a 100% refund which tells a story.

have no faith in their waders(had them leak right out of the box and they wanted to blame me) but I've a jacket of theirs that's 19 y/o

On 3/12/2019 at 6:13 PM, striper52 said:

Hello,  The season is fast approaching and I’m looking for a wading jacket. Does anybody have some suggestions without breaking the bank?    Thanks

Run, don’t walk to the Frogg Tog line of Fl jackets.  I have a wading jacket with all the options to keep you dry that was under $100.00. Neoprene wrist closer that is great and comfortable!

On 3/14/2019 at 8:17 AM, RJ said:

Run, don’t walk to the Frogg Tog line of Fl jackets.  I have a wading jacket with all the options to keep you dry that was under $100.00. Neoprene wrist closer that is great and comfortable!

This is a good suggestion. I have two. The only thing I can add is that one very important thing is pockets. The more the merrier.

2 hours ago, JoeGBreezy said:

This is a good suggestion. I have two. The only thing I can add is that one very important thing is pockets. The more the merrier.

Mine has 3 Water proof zipper pockets and two fleece lined side pockets, a high neck and a hood.  it's 5 season old and still doing the job.

What I like about Frogg Togg is they are in the business of keeping us dry 

! Most other fishing Clothes are owned by Fly Rod Manufactures.  Keeping you dry is a long way down the list of things that need to be perfect, in their product line. Simms has every thing you could possibly want to wear, but their main thrust is putting out Rods and Reels.

Just a thought!

Edited by RJ

The Costco $20 rain jacket is ok and the fit is comfortable although the hood is a bit oversized. The 2XL has plenty of room underneath for warm clothing but your sleeves would get wet in heavy surf and rain since the cuffs don’t cinch down very tight with the Velcro tabs and no neoprene. In addition, the bottom margin of the jacket has no cords for keeping the elements out so a surf belt would be necessary especially over waders. Finally, it has no pockets for fly boxes and stuff only two hand pockets about waist high. Seems like a ok budget option or a good backup for Emergencies. Save your money and upgrade. Anyone have any experience with Frogg Toggs Hellbender wading jacket in the salt or freshwater?