golden

The 'CHU 2019

Rate this topic

176 posts in this topic

On 4/8/2019 at 10:17 PM, bob_G said:

People catch a lot of lakers here, but all seem to get released. Has anyone tried to smoke them? 30 years ago there was a fireman who smoked lakers for himself and some of his buddies to rave reviews. I never tried it though so I can't comment.

My buddy smoked a couple 2 years ago and raved about it.  Just seems like a decent enough hassle that I have never personally bothered and he hasn't done it again.  I'll give it a try one of these days, along with keeping a salmon out of there.

I'm all for culling short lakers but I got no taste for em myself. 

I'm no fan of stocked trout for that matter either.

Unless I'm with my son who likes cooking and eating them, I always plan to release. 

Smoked is another thing though. I'd keep them if I had a good smoker.

I'll be there sometime on Sunday. Did get one laker on metal tonite about 3.5 lbs in a spot that I would not have expected. But I guess anything's possible this early. Had I not moved around and tried something unfamiliar, I would have been talking :skunk:.

Water level is not an issue. Fished this morning from sunrise until about noon. First trip in a while. Fished a 1/4 ounce gold kastmaster and never changed. 8 lakers - biggest 22 inches, 2 salmon - both 14 inches, and a gorgeous bow of 19 inches. All fish in 12 to 15 feet of water and kastmaster neeed to be hopping along bottom. Guy to my right was doing well with a small little Cleo.  

Fished all day Sunday. Slow morning with only 2 lakers between both of us with a few runs resulting in missed fish. Both on bait. The afternoon was slightly better. 2 more lakers and 2 smallmouths between us all on bait. Once again nothing on the various metals we were throwing but did see another guy near us catch a laker on a Kastmaster.

Nothing at all for me after 4 tries (maybe 12 hrs) w/ metal.  The water level is getting ridiculously high again, w/ rain mostly coming for the next 10 days.

I was looking for a rock that was above water opening weekend....I could hardly see it in the murky depths yesterday.

It's pretty much over for this year, as any spot to cast from also disappear.

12 mins ago, bb1 said:

Nothing at all for me after 4 tries (maybe 12 hrs) w/ metal.  The water level is getting ridiculously high again, w/ rain mostly coming for the next 10 days.

I was looking for a rock that was above water opening weekend....I could hardly see it in the murky depths yesterday.

bb1,

Is it really over for this year, or are you speaking out of frustration?

37 mins ago, bob_G said:

bb1,

Is it really over for this year, or are you speaking out of frustration?

No where near over. Still plenty of fishing left and plenty of biting fish. Metals are dead and I wouldnt even waste my time throwing them. Salmon are just starting to get active 

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, bb1 said:

I'm 1 for 2 so far. I'll be up there a lot next week during my fishing vacation week. I'll let you know if it's "over".  :)

1 hour ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

fish. Metals are dead and I wouldnt even waste my time throwing them. 

Most of my fish so far came on bait but I did get a decent laker on a kastmaster. I'll still be throwing metals for the next few weeks.  :)

20190407_175505.jpg.001a51671054cdf7a7c6508b1ca09b35.jpg

Edited by zak-striper