golden

The 'CHU 2019

Rate this topic

176 posts in this topic

13 mins ago, bb1 said:

It's hard to 'poach'....when they want you to throw lakers in the bushes (if your not keeping them).

Lot more then just lakers swimming around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 mins ago, bb1 said:

It's hard to 'poach'....when they want you to throw lakers in the bushes (if your not keeping them).

Does the state actually say that somewhere officially?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

18 mins ago, Deniz said:

So 5:19am is an hour before sunrise, correct? I always thought it was 30mins before sunrise when you were allowed to enter.

First light is an hour before sunrise, so you can enter an hour before sunrise. I've asked more than one DCR ranger about this when I've run into them on the shoreline and they confirmed this.

 

Of course, on opening day, there will be cars surrounding the place by 4:00 a.m. with people already out there.  Opening day is absolute insanity out there. Not worth it to me.

Edited by zak-striper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Does the state actually say that somewhere officially?

It may have been in the pamphlet you get w/ your licence at one time, I really don't remember?   But it's not PC enough any more so we don't hear it much now.

I believe it was also once in local fishing magazines & sporting sections in newspaper articles....& word of mouth by rangers there.

And if anything, there are more lakers than ever now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many times some of the biggest fish of the year are caught the first day (morning) or two.

There may be more numbers later on in a few weeks.

 

I have not looked lately, but it is ridiculously high water, right?   It's going to be miserable....w/ lots of rain coming.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 mins ago, sandbars said:

Lot more then just lakers swimming around.

Lakers are what most will catch....now along w/ the huge amount of Landlocks they dumped in there, along w/ the usual Rainbow stocking.  

None of which I would really call 'poaching'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 mins ago, Deniz said:

So 5:19am is an hour before sunrise, correct? I always thought it was 30mins before sunrise when you were allowed to enter.

That was contradicting 'fake' news put out by the Fisheries & Wildlife years ago....probably some activist unilaterally trying to restrict for restrictions sake (usual here in MA 'public service').

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, zak-striper said:

First light is an hour before sunrise, so you can enter an hour before sunrise. I've asked more than one DCR ranger about this when I've run into them on the shoreline and they confirmed this.

 

Of course, on opening day, there will be cars surrounding the place by 4:00 a.m. with people already out there.  Opening day is absolute insanity out there. Not worth it to me.

I have stepped on people in sleeping bags at scar hill walking in in the dark. People already have the prime spots taken by 3am. Time to put on the camo and hunker down

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is what happens when there is an opening day lol..

 (I grew up in PA. First day of trout looks like the area around the herring run in the canal back in the day)

Not much they can do about it, even if they allowed ice fishing not everybody ice fishes..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Deniz said:

So 5:19am is an hour before sunrise, correct? I always thought it was 30mins before sunrise when you were allowed to enter.

The authorities for some reason will make a big show of enforcing the start timing opening weekend. Then youll never see them again until next spring. :kook:

 

Ironically nice fish can be caught throughout the day, particularly early on. The rush to get there pre-dawn has more to do with an obsession to secure a "good" spot before anyone else does. Its exacerbated by the high water issue. I rarely go to so called "known good" spots opening week because of crowds plus there is no need to. The week after opening week, all the pressure will greatly diminish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

I have found if I'm not waiting in line at the gate by 4am I'm not getting a place to fish even for the whole day. 

Which is why you won't see me there Saturday.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

I have found if I'm not waiting in line at the gate by 4am I'm not getting a place to fish even for the whole day. 

Ive been fishing opening day at the same spot for the past 3-4 years, and have been killing it with Rainbow trout. Believe it or not, there are still secret spots that no one, or very very few rather, go to. Just dont ask me where they are :howdy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 mins ago, yemista said:

Ive been fishing opening day at the same spot for the past 3-4 years, and have been killing it with Rainbow trout. Believe it or not, there are still secret spots that no one, or very very few rather, go to. Just dont ask me where they are :howdy:

I have a tradition of going to the same place I was taught to fish there by my grandfather. Luckily I slam the salmon there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.