golden

The 'CHU 2019

Rate this topic

176 posts in this topic

It's not just today's level, you need to factor in the next 2 months of rain that is coming.  It's even worse in May lately than April.   It all fills up the resy, then it takes even longer while the rivers empty into it.

Some years the rivers themselves are basically unfishable their running so fast some days.

So if you start with fairly high water in the first place, it's probably only going to get worse all spring.   And think of last year when it was the highest on the last day of fishing!  Higher than I can remember.

Unlikely I'll be fishing there much in May, but April's another matter. Several weeks ago the Quinnie run-out level from the dam looked reasonable to me, certainly better than the fall when it looked like the Colorado River rapids. But like you say it's bound to come up.

20 hours ago, bb1 said:

non caring or incompetent people are in charge of many things.

I didn't realize mother nature is incompetent.  :)

Just can't rely on much striper activity in May like I used to, so I have been fishing the resy more often.

Been hitting some poor June striper fishing too over recent years.

55 mins ago, zak-striper said:

I didn't realize mother nature is incompetent.  :)

There are weather reports.   But everyone gets a trophy now-a-days.   :) 

One of my best years recently was with super high water.  It made me fish areas I normally wouldn't, and found great salmon bites, lakers, and huge smallmouth.  Look at it as an opportunity to explore other areas, and you might be surprised.

It is high. They have had the spillway into Mill pond open a couple times. I agree the high water makes you seek out places out of the way where you have some rock to stand on. There are some great places to access off the beaten path. I'll be at Thompson Speedway for the Ice breaker opening weekend then Las Vegas for 10 days after that. Be mid April before I hit Da Chu. That's when it's getting good any ways. 

Most of the productive spots are well known, & I find it hard to explore when you can't walk 10' w/o NASTY bushwhacking.

Or take a longer walk & find you can hardly cast there & can't move around....

But yes I have found some unlikely spots that save the day & have became my go to spots that are almost always open (when I need them).  :)

Missed the World Series of Racing last year, completely forgot until it was over....probably because I was frustrated w/ the resy & canal.   lol

Haven't missed an Ice Breaker or World Series of Racing in 10 years. Always a good time and the 1st and last trip with the travel trailer every year. Wish they didn't cut back on the oval racing. I miss those weekly nights of racing. 10 this year there that's better last year. One of the best smells of spring. Racing Fuel!!!

28 mins ago, ne_dan said:

Looks like opening day might be pushed back due to ice, they're going to make the decision April 3rd.  https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2019/03/27/wachusettfishing2019firstannouncement.pdf 

That seem impossible.  Our fearless leaders here say we only have 12 years left.

Yet no one voted for it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

36 mins ago, ne_dan said:

Looks like opening day might be pushed back due to ice,

The 10 day forecast won't be below freezing. There's still a chance for the 1st Saturday.  :)

Screenshot_20190327-134100_Chrome.jpg.c720fd438a06e658766f824104b9fbe8.jpg

Edited by zak-striper