golden

The 'CHU 2019

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

There's no fish in the Chu. And Chu fish don't count anyway.  :)

According to On The Water, we'll be fishing from the trees because the water is still high.

Is there any law against fishing from a tree stand down there?  Might be advantageous...

I've never understood why the most hype around the Chu tends to be the start of the spring season.  I understand that the water is colder usually than in the fall and everyone has cabin fever, but it always seems like the water levels are insanely high during the spring with the snow melt and with the exception of last year, it's way more accessible in the months following.

12 hours ago, aglenn said:

Is there any law against fishing from a tree stand down there?  Might be advantageous...

I've never understood why the most hype around the Chu tends to be the start of the spring season.  I understand that the water is colder usually than in the fall and everyone has cabin fever, but it always seems like the water levels are insanely high during the spring with the snow melt and with the exception of last year, it's way more accessible in the months following.

It's been different every year I've fished there.

In '17 there was a Nor'easter on opening day.

A couple of years before that it was sunny and 70 on opening day.

Some years it opens on the 1st Saturday as is the plan.  Other years it opens up on the 2nd or 3rd Saturday because of ice.

One year the water is high. The next year the water is at normal levels. The year after that the water is really low, leaving spawning grounds either shallow or exposed.

Lately we have to deal with crowds snd spot burning because of social media groups that tell the world about the Chu.

You never know.

Two years ago water levels were really high. Spring spots that I love to fish were under water. Last year the water levels were at the high side of normal. Those same spots were barely accessible.

Edited by zak-striper

I think the philosophy over maintaining the levels has changed over the years.

Demand grows every year as new services are added with condos going on every last patch left.

The drought of '15-'17 caught em with pants down.

I think they will hold back and overfill each Spring until no signs of drought for a long stretch. 

32 mins ago, mikez2 said:

I think they will hold back and overfill each Spring until no signs of drought for a long stretch. 

Were you there during closing week last year? It rained, a lot, about every other day on top of all the rain we received all summer and fall.

I was fishing from the tree line in many places during closing week. Many parts were under water and unfishable. It was all because of Mother Nature. She can be just fickle and a pain in the arse as the MDC.

Edited by zak-striper

4 hours ago, zak-striper said:

Were you there during closing week last year? It rained, a lot, about every other day on top of all the rain we received all summer and fall.

I was fishing from the tree line in many places during closing week. Many parts were under water and unfishable. It was all because of Mother Nature. She can be just fickle and a pain in the arse as the MDC.

No, I'm a fairweather res guy. I only visited a few times last season.

I'm going more by what I hear in general in drinking water scuttlebutt.

Let the reservoir fill all winter in case next year is a drought.

You can always release some in summer if you have extra.

I have no direct knowledge of MWRA policy although I think I read a news article to that effect.

18 hours ago, aglenn said:

There's a few reasons for the hype at the start of spring season.  For most, it's because the post ice out water is colder and lakers and salmon are within reach.  For others it's a big area to roam after the cabin fever of winter.  

Edited by clambellies

It's going to be pretty bad this spring (& maybe all year)?   And it's never really been like this over the almost 50yrs I have seen it.   Never year after year after year so high!  Up into the brush & trees so much (creating swamp water).

Like most everything now-a-days....non caring or incompetent people are in charge of many things.

Even if you know what your doing, it's probably going to be difficult & hit-or-miss.

That bad huh? It didn't look too bad a few weeks ago. Higher than normal to be sure but not outrageous. It's quite possible it came up. If it's anything like the fall, that'll pretty much limit where I can fish. I hope to do some recon sometime this weekend.