Jsnake4

Surf fluke rod

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

Looking for some recommendations on a surf rod for bucktailing summer flounder from the open beach. Something in the 8’ range that won’t break the bank too bad. Mostly throw 3/4 to 1 oz bucktails with a teaser. Thanks

Posted (edited) · Report post

I went with a Star rod Stellar light. She's a 7'6" one piece 3/4 to 2.5 once. Cast great, cast buck great. Also great for flounder rigs.Check them out. I like the Star rods better than my St Croix rods.

Edited by hunter123

I'm kind of liking this at 7 1/2' - I never owned one, curious to see how

true it is to it's ratings at $140.00

st. croix MOJO INSHORE SPINNING MIS76MHF

I used a 7'6" Okuma SST Salmon rod rated up to 1 oz last summer. Fun rod but pretty light tackle although it did handle a few stripers around 25" pretty well. I just got a 7' St. Croix triumph Surf 1/2-2 oz for this year. It's a pretty light rod but I think it will be able to haul in some decent fish (if I ever run into one). I was considering the Star rod posted above but I really like my other two Triumphs a lot and this came up for a pretty sweet deal. I was also considering a few inshore or FW rods like the St. Croix Tidemaster, Shimano Claurus or the 13 Fishing Omen Green (although I hear a lot of iffy stuff about 13 Fishing).

I fish an 8'8 Tsunami Airwave Elite on the beach with a 5k Shimano Stradic on it. It's a pinch heavier than what's needed on the beach, but it does throw bt's up to 1.5 ounces a mile. I'm fishing it on open beaches in NJ and the south shore of Long Island it does the job beautifully.

The rod stickers for about $160.  

I was at dicks the other day and they had a 7' ultra fast penn battle 2 rod combo. I liked the feel of it a lot and at 120 it wont break the bank. Anyone have any experience with this rod?

13 mins ago, adams54 said:

I was at dicks the other day and they had a 7' ultra fast penn battle 2 rod combo. I liked the feel of it a lot and at 120 it wont break the bank. Anyone have any experience with this rod?

It's a fine rod I found that 1 oz was pushing it, since I think it's only rated to 3/4.  I was able to throw elias shads on a 1 oz head but that was a serious lob and I wasn't happy about it.  The reel seat came loose on mine as well, but I'm assuming that's a lemon and not a trait of the battle line of rods.

7 mins ago, CoffeeHangover said:

It's a fine rod I found that 1 oz was pushing it, since I think it's only rated to 3/4.  I was able to throw elias shads on a 1 oz head but that was a serious lob and I wasn't happy about it.  The reel seat came loose on mine as well, but I'm assuming that's a lemon and not a trait of the battle line of rods.

Yeah it didn't seem to have much backbone and the guides seemed like a weakpoint as well. Loved the feel it though. Do you know of any rods with that same feel but maybe a little sturdier?

I'm also a fan of the 8'8 Tsunami Airwave Elite ....

depending on line size you can go down to 5/8 oz. and up to probably 1 3/4 oz.

I fish mine hard and it has been very durable , and not a big hit to the budget