GeoffT

55+ Communities - Pros/Cons

Rate this topic

204 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Considering buying a house in a 55+ community.  Love the idea of being in a gated community that's likely to be safe and quiet with no ill-mannered, screaming kids to annoy the hell out of me, and full of amenities such as clubhouse, social clubs, bbq parties, pool, tennis courses, sometimes a golf course.    HOA fees include snow removal and landscaping, garbage, etc

Looked at several in Manchester, NJ, that were reasonable.   All one level, two bedrooms, two baths, which I like.   Monmouth and Morris Counties are too expensive.

Anyone here live in one?   What are the pros and cons of living in one?

Edited by GeoffT

Yea, usually around 200-250 a month...not terrible.   But they'll fertilize and cut your grass and shovel snow off your walk and driveway among other things.  I like the idea of being real lazy.

if they build too many in your area, you cant give them away later, if you look around there are complexes with brand new unit that are 10 years old and never sold, then again, if quality of life is more important than resale value, go for it

The communities I looked at in Manchester have between 1500-2000 homes, virtually small towns in themselves.  But very few houses for sale relative to the size of the community so it tells me people are happy living there.  Quality of life is a priority, for sure.  Not looking to move again anytime soon. 

Property taxes are pretty low to what I'm used to (2500-4000 as opposed to 8000-10000) which is another plus.    

3 mins ago, MakoMike said:

If the word snow is included you're looking in all the wrong places.

I would love to move to Florida if I could!!!   But all my kids and grandkids are here and something tells me I won't be happy moving 1500 miles away from them.

Edited by GeoffT

5 mins ago, woowoo2 said:

Con: Surrounded by old people.

But no bratty, whiny kids or teens driving high on drugs ;) 

2 mins ago, GeoffT said:

And no cute, young stay at home moms.

When we first bought our home, we had a rather slutty young lady renting the home next door.

The wife took one look at her and told me to "never help her with anything"

6 mins ago, woowoo2 said:

And no cute, young stay at home moms.

When we first bought our home, we had a rather slutty young lady renting the home next door.

The wife took one look at her and told me to "never help her with anything"

Good point.    But kids who already graduated from HS are allowed to live with their 55+ yo parents - bet some of them are slutty, young ladies, lol

Edited by GeoffT

9 mins ago, GeoffT said:

no

from a few old people i know who live in those type of "55 or better" places, those places are worse than high school when it comes to cliques.

friends there become ex-friends fast.

especially if you want to be on some fancy committee.

if you hate freedom you get from owning your own property, stay away from them.

those are retired folks who have nothing better to do than look for **** to complain about.

Not my me but my parent's experience.  They ended up in Sun City, AZ.  Got a nice two bed room condo and loved it.  If they had of listened to us it still would have been in the family.  Visited many times and a situation like that I would have no problem with.

Cabo

13 mins ago, eddy said:

no

from a few old people i know who live in those type of "55 or better" places, those places are worse than high school when it comes to cliques.

friends there become ex-friends fast.

especially if you want to be on some fancy committee.

if you hate freedom you get from owning your own property, stay away from them.

those are retired folks who have nothing better to do than look for **** to complain about.

I have heard of this as well.   And is definitely worth keeping in mind.

Since I'll still be working full-time for several more years, be with the gf and fishing or swimming in my spare time, I doubt at this point if I would get involved in any committee or club or rub elbows with retired cranky old men and women and I was never part of any clique, even in HS.   While I appreciate your insight, it may not be that big of a factor in my decision.

I much prefer to own property than rent.  Less than one more year of rent and I'm outta there.

Edited by GeoffT