Nessmuk

Farmington River - Fly fishing - 13 March

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Collinsville def nice little town ..... Bridge St Live also great venue for some very good local/not so local entertainment.  Good food there also!

15 hours ago, Nessmuk said:

Score for last two days:  2 otters, 1 bald eagle, 0 fish.

Has to be picking up soon though.  Tons of 1/2" black stoneflies on the sunny rocks right at the water line.  Saw one rise in some slack water but that was it.  Still worth every bit of the time.  The Farmington has to be one of the most beautiful stretches of river in the country.  Even with more snow than leaves.

Hit a pub in Collinsville next to the old factory called the Crown and Hammer.  It  occupies the old train station.  Recommend if you're over that way.

20190313_101906.jpg

20190314_103654.jpg

20190314_130612.jpg

that last picture is one of my favorite runs.  I fish it from the other side of the river.  Excellent caddis hatches in the spring and summer.  

14 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

I aint above dropping a meal worm into a pool :o

Growing ups, that's all we used (except occasionally a gold or silver phoebe).  The only question was size and how many split shots to put on the line.  Trips to Farmington, Pomperaug, Cornwall, etc in the Fall were always productive because we would also search for mushrooms and usually bring back 1 or 2 large grocery store brown bags full of them.  Haha, fond memories of great times with my dad and uncles!

4 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

No doubt. Grew up riding my bike to the Farmington, punch brook and all the lakes and ponds in between. 

Cool ....... did you ever participate in the Opening Day madness at the Hitchcock Chair factory? 

lol...no I kept clear of the madness...even as a kid I never really did the opening day craziness....id just find a spot on the Coppermine river where nobody fished. 

10 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

lol...no I kept clear of the madness...even as a kid I never really did the opening day craziness....id just find a spot on the Coppermine river where nobody fished. 

Behind and north of the factory it was elbow to elbow on both sides and up the middle (shallow and narrow there).  As I said earlier, we spent more time untangling lines than fishing. I actually went back a 2nd year, but never again after that.  Always waited until early-mid week start fishing there.

My In-laws lived in Shelton Ct. Went once a month for 25 years to see them. I miss them, fly fishing the Housy, Farmington and pond brook.Other small rivers that I uncovered and were fun. Caught a lot of trout through the years from those rivers. Pepe's pizza is another big miss. I dont miss RT 95, the Merritt, and the 2.5 hour drive. The have passed on but I do have fond memories of CT. My wife has one Aunt left in Bridgeport, pushing 92 and still going strong. She goes about every 6 weeks to say hello, I go a couple of times a year. Not much to do in Bridgeport with a 92 year old but a couple times a year she needs some maintenance done on house and she will spring for the pizza at pepe's. Not a bad deal.

Boy, you really bring back some very fond memories of summer evenings waiting in long lines to get into Pepe's ... but oh so worth it.  When I finally got in and spotted those ovens in the back, the adrenalin would begin to flow in anticipation of that delicious thin crust pie!  

Interestingly, a couple of weeks ago I ran into a You Tube video - Emeril Eats the World (or something like that) segment on "Best Pizza in the World".  He flies to the Amalfi coast and meets up with a chef friend of his who takes him to Franco Pepe's for what she calls the best pizza she's ever tasted.  Great 1/2 hour segment if you like anchovies, colatura, buffalo mozzarella, dough-making and touring very scenic Amalfi coast.  

I actually was born / raised in Seymour (from Shelton, through Derby and Ansonia).  Never really spent much time in BPT, but fondly remember Seymour/Shelton football games (Wildcats vs Gaels).

Thanks for the post. 

70th year anniversary for the Riverton fishing derby. Stocking for the derby is at 4:30pm on Friday April 12th. Bring a kid to help stock trout from 4-13lbs. 

1 hour ago, SlackTideBri said:

70th year anniversary for the Riverton fishing derby. Stocking for the derby is at 4:30pm on Friday April 12th. Bring a kid to help stock trout from 4-13lbs. 

That would be fun to watch!