Nessmuk

Farmington River - Fly fishing - 13 March

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Heading over tomorrow with my son for the first time fishing the river.  Staying at the in-law place in Burlington.  Wondering if there's any info I should know, but we will start with a local fly shop.

I'm hearing midges, winter stoneflies, maybe some streamers, BWOs and some standard dries in case the warmer weather pops a hatch.

Advice?

4 hours ago, Nessmuk said:

Heading over tomorrow with my son for the first time fishing the river.  Staying at the in-law place in Burlington.  Wondering if there's any info I should know, but we will start with a local fly shop.

I'm hearing midges, winter stoneflies, maybe some streamers, BWOs and some standard dries in case the warmer weather pops a hatch.

Advice?

Not sure of current status, but many moons ago the Hitchcock Chair Company used to stock beautiful trout (2 - 5 pounders) behind their factory in Riverton for Opening Day.  Only problem with that (if you were nutty enough to go Opening Day) was way too many fishermen showed up and crossing lines was more the norm than the exception.  But as the crowd thinned out over the following 2 weeks the fishing was spectacular. 

Can't add anything in way of advice for where you are going, but surely looking forward to hearing your report back.  Good luck!

Thanks, man.  Riverton was one of the areas we were going to try for a bit, as well as People's, and Whittemore.  We'll see.  It'll be good just to get into the rhythm whether we catch or not.

On 3/12/2019 at 3:44 PM, JoeC said:

Used to be some nice holes both ways from the chair factory.

Going to try there in the am.

Beautiful day today but no fish.  Fished from Ovation up to the some old bridge or mill foundation near a campground in People's.  Was actually what looked like some small stones having a light hatch in the afternoon, but no risers.  Fished mostly wets.

Quite a few folks out, but didn't see any catching.

Stopped by Upcountry and the guy there was great.  Grabbed some flies and hit the river.

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 hours ago, John350 said:

may have to go low and slow with some tungsten nymphs

That's the plan today.  Heading up to Riverton, weighted nymphs in the pools.  We'll see.

It's a beautiful river.  Not as remote as the Ausable, obviously, but really fishable.

Edited by Nessmuk

UpCountry Sport Fishing- right on 44.  Great shop; super helpful.  I fished there on Saturday for the first time.  Only one fish, but pretty river and saw pics of some nice fish caught.  With this warm week, I would think things should be taking off. 

1 hour ago, HugeDinghy said:

bantam and the farm, the only two things I miss about CT. 

?? 

What about the warm and gracious people?

1 hour ago, HugeDinghy said:

bantam and the farm, the only two things I miss about CT. 

I have very fond memories of Pomperaug, Shepaug and Housatonic (Cornwall) Rivers.  Also, summer early evenings trolling around perimeter of Lake Quassapaug was always good for a few trout.  Lake Candlewood used to hold some nice trout, but heard it has turned into a cesspool (not sure, just hearsay) and that's too bad.  And, depending on where you lived and how old you are, some of us recall Jimmies' and stock car racing at Savin Rock ... tasty food and a lot of fun (before they turned it into condos)...........don't get me wrong, though, SoCo is close to heaven!

Score for last two days:  2 otters, 1 bald eagle, 0 fish.

Has to be picking up soon though.  Tons of 1/2" black stoneflies on the sunny rocks right at the water line.  Saw one rise in some slack water but that was it.  Still worth every bit of the time.  The Farmington has to be one of the most beautiful stretches of river in the country.  Even with more snow than leaves.

Hit a pub in Collinsville next to the old factory called the Crown and Hammer.  It  occupies the old train station.  Recommend if you're over that way.

20190313_101906.jpg

20190314_103654.jpg

20190314_130612.jpg