pclassic

New to Kayak fishing.

24 posts in this topic

Many people make their own kayak  carts to save money. Lots of threads on here on how to make them.

Scupper carts are not universal. Some people feel that they may damage your kayak. Others are pretty comfortable using them. Personally I don't use them. If you are transporting your kayak on sand you may need a specific tire made for sand. If transporting on pavement any type of wheel would work.

Kayak cart prices vary from 30 bucks to 300 bucks ?  30 bucks being the home made model.

The cart becomes more important as you age. Also more important when your kayak gets heavy.

Some young people may carry their kayaks without a  cart. Most older folks use a cart. I like the wheeleez 

carts with 30 cm wheels. But they are pretty expensive. Good luck with your decision. Also some you tube videos out there to help you build one.

As far as adjustability, I have a scupper cart similar to this from West Marine (reg price $110 but I got it on sale for $60):

Scupper Pro 2 Kayak Cart

It works OK but I almost never use it. If I actually needed a cart and could go back, I'd get the kind that is more like a cradle that your kayak sits on and you just strap it down. You have to tilt the kayak quite a bit to get the scupper cart installed. Plus, the possibility of damaging the scuppers concerns me.

OK

I am also new to kayaking and am 60 5'8 180lb.

I am going to be fishing along the edges of sounds and swamp and marshes.

Do any of you have experience with this kayak?

Looks like a good little paddle boat. 

Thanks for any info.

native.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Here's my advice after a bunch of research, some test drives and a year of fresh and saltwater under my belt.

I'm 58 now, 5-10, 205.  Not a wimp but I'm not in fantastic shape anymore. Have tweaked my back a number of times.

Start your first season with a lightweight paddle kayak.  Avoid all this extra effort of expensive Hullivator lifts for cartop and trailers.  For me, having a kayak is about portability and even stealth.  If I'm dragging a trailer around, I might as well have a Boston Whaler.  that;'s just me.  I carry my yak over my head and can walk probably 2-300 feet easily...no cart.

Don't buy new.  Save money.  If you are doing some salt and maybe out front a little on calm days, consider a Ocean Kayak Trident  or Prowler...or Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120.  Simple, comfortable seats, low center of gravity, very well tracking in wind and current and affordable.  We are starting the season where guys are going to want to sell off their old yak and get into a new model.  You can find yaks in very good shape, fully outfitted, with paddle, PDF and even fishfinder all set to go for short money.  Sure you are probably going to find that you like things setup differently but at least you can get out there on day one.  Change the fishfinder location or the anchor trolley after you get a feel for what works or doesn't work.

Course if you are wealthier than I am and can buy new and then buy new again next year if you don't like it, god bless you.

Edited by blackdogfish

6 hours ago, drmevo said:

As far as adjustability, I have a scupper cart similar to this from West Marine (reg price $110 but I got it on sale for $60):

Scupper Pro 2 Kayak Cart

It works OK but I almost never use it. If I actually needed a cart and could go back, I'd get the kind that is more like a cradle that your kayak sits on and you just strap it down. You have to tilt the kayak quite a bit to get the scupper cart installed. Plus, the possibility of damaging the scuppers concerns me.

does that float at all?

If not add some noodle to the axle. 

Install before you come out of the water. Practice, no tilt. Then come out running :)

I'll just throw out a different suggestion: if you have never been on a kayak at all, you may consider renting a couple of different models (maybe ones rigged for fishing) for test trips, before investing in a kayak you may not end up liking. It's even possible that you may dislike kayak fishing, period. Many shops will let you demo for a small fee that they would waive when you purchase from them. Just a suggestion.

On 3/12/2019 at 10:01 AM, pclassic said:

Hi folks, much needed fishing Kayak info needed here. I've never been on a kayak, but love to striper fish and can only do it from land. I've seen so many areas I'd love to fish, but can only reach them from a kayak so I'm biting the bullet and will be getting one in the next few weeks. I think I like the Old Town Topwater 10.6 PDL series. At $1.999.95 I can afford it. It weighs about 70lbs stripped down which is something I like. I'm 63, 5'6" and about 155lbs so dealing with anything heavier than that could be a nightmare for me. I just got off the phone with Old Town and they told me for the fishing I want to do I probably should step up to the Predator because it handles better in chop, current, wind than the Topwater does. They also said the Topwater is more for fishing lakes, ponds with not much chop or wind. The Predator is so much more money than I want to spend. So I guess I'm hoping maybe someone here might have experience on a Topwater PDL and could tell me the pros and cons. I wouldn't be using it to fish in the ocean, but I was hoping I could use it in the bays, rivers, marshes and estuaries and I know that even in those areas at times there is current, wind and chop. Is Topwater a good Kayak for this type of fishing? Thanks in advance for any info you might share with me.

I've been paddle yaking for 5 years ... decided to take the plunge into PEDAL POWER; researched all the options out there. Decided on the Hobie Compass ... I am 61, 6'2', 250 ... reasonably healthy so car-topping my WS Tarpon and my Future Beach Angler 160 aren't too much of a burdon, but I didn't want to go heavier than 75 pounds. There are several brandy new bouts on the market (Riot Mako is one) that are lighter Pedal yaks, but they haven't been time-tested yet. Hobie seems the best bet right now. I really like the Outback for the features and stability ... but it is Heavy. I tested out car-topping last weekend, and while it is do-able, not pleasant. The Compass is 13 lbs lighter ... a big difference. And the Compass is less than $2K, right in your ballpark. It should be stable and able to handle chop out on the water, more so than the 10.5; Old Town. Car topping is a must requirement for me ... buying a trailer or a Pick-up to be able to kayak isn't in my cards.

Check out the Outback ... there are demo models out there that you can get 10-20% off the list price.

29 mins ago, tj7501 said:

I'll just throw out a different suggestion: if you have never been on a kayak at all, you may consider renting a couple of different models (maybe ones rigged for fishing) for test trips, before investing in a kayak you may not end up liking. It's even possible that you may dislike kayak fishing, period. Many shops will let you demo for a small fee that they would waive when you purchase from them. Just a suggestion.

Building off of this ... go out on a Kayak Fishing Charter ... thats how I got started. If you are near Eastern CT or RI, I have someone you can do this with ... $150 for 5-6 hours fishing (caught over 20 stripers and blues last year with him). Trust me ... you'll be exhausted and get a great feel for the sport.

4 hours ago, Rick67 said:

does that float at all?

If not add some noodle to the axle. 

Install before you come out of the water. Practice, no tilt. Then come out running :)

It does float. Fact is, though, most of my launches are steps away from the water so I have no use for it. Good tip though.