pclassic

New to Kayak fishing.

24 posts in this topic

Hi folks, much needed fishing Kayak info needed here. I've never been on a kayak, but love to striper fish and can only do it from land. I've seen so many areas I'd love to fish, but can only reach them from a kayak so I'm biting the bullet and will be getting one in the next few weeks. I think I like the Old Town Topwater 10.6 PDL series. At $1.999.95 I can afford it. It weighs about 70lbs stripped down which is something I like. I'm 63, 5'6" and about 155lbs so dealing with anything heavier than that could be a nightmare for me. I just got off the phone with Old Town and they told me for the fishing I want to do I probably should step up to the Predator because it handles better in chop, current, wind than the Topwater does. They also said the Topwater is more for fishing lakes, ponds with not much chop or wind. The Predator is so much more money than I want to spend. So I guess I'm hoping maybe someone here might have experience on a Topwater PDL and could tell me the pros and cons. I wouldn't be using it to fish in the ocean, but I was hoping I could use it in the bays, rivers, marshes and estuaries and I know that even in those areas at times there is current, wind and chop. Is Topwater a good Kayak for this type of fishing? Thanks in advance for any info you might share with me.

I'm not familiar with the old towns, I do fish out of a Wilderness Radar 135. I fish in back bays, rivers in heavy current with mine. They make a Radar 115 which is also a good kayak for these conditions, just a little shorter. The old town seems a little short too. 

Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 10.13.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 10.13.27 AM.png

I can't speak to the Old Town kayaks as I've been fishing on my Hobie Revo for 7 years now. I love the Hobie, but as long as you have some sort of pedal drive, you'll be OK. If price is an issue, I would look at purchasing a used kayak. You can usually find them on sale in the BST Kayak Forum.

I guess the question you need to answer is what is more important to you. The weight of the kayak or the ability to pedal your kayak. If weight is a more important issue there are several  paddle kayaks that are about 20lbs lighter then the one you are looking at. If pedal power is important then most pedal kayaks will approach the 100 lb mark once you  load it up with gear.  Good luck with your decision. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Cannot compare these two as I'm only familiar with Predator and let me tell you, while I love it on the water it's heavy and generally feels large back on shore. I'm 49, 6' and 205 lbs and it's heavy for me, especially when loaded. If you not going to the ocean, I'm sure Topwater would be great. and I would advise you not to buy a used pedal drive yak as warranty would be short (if any) and I'm not sure if it's even transferrable to the second owner.   

Edited by oceanAddict

oceanAddict, loading or loaded? Haha! Anyway thanks for the info about your Predator. There is no way I'd enjoy lugging that weight around even with a cart. Just to heavy for me from what you describe. Buying new. Lifetime warranty on the boat, 4 or 5 year on the drive.

10 mins ago, pclassic said:

oceanAddict, loading or loaded? 

both. trust me it's an air carrier (in speed, displacement and tonnage lol). Over 13 ft, 36" wide, weight 117 lbs. USS Enterprise ...

1 hour ago, pclassic said:

Hi folks, much needed fishing Kayak info needed here. I've never been on a kayak, but love to striper fish and can only do it from land. I've seen so many areas I'd love to fish, but can only reach them from a kayak so I'm biting the bullet and will be getting one in the next few weeks. I think I like the Old Town Topwater 10.6 PDL series. At $1.999.95 I can afford it. It weighs about 70lbs stripped down which is something I like. I'm 63, 5'6" and about 155lbs so dealing with anything heavier than that could be a nightmare for me. I just got off the phone with Old Town and they told me for the fishing I want to do I probably should step up to the Predator because it handles better in chop, current, wind than the Topwater does. They also said the Topwater is more for fishing lakes, ponds with not much chop or wind. The Predator is so much more money than I want to spend. So I guess I'm hoping maybe someone here might have experience on a Topwater PDL and could tell me the pros and cons. I wouldn't be using it to fish in the ocean, but I was hoping I could use it in the bays, rivers, marshes and estuaries and I know that even in those areas at times there is current, wind and chop. Is Topwater a good Kayak for this type of fishing? Thanks in advance for any info you might share with me.

Hobie Compass is 68lbs stripped, Revo 13 is 70lbs. You should demo the prop vs mirage drive models to see which one you prefer. They are very different pedaling motions. 

1 hour ago, pclassic said:

I have the Topwater PDL I fished this winter. It's not a light weight kayak that's for sure neither is the Predator PDL. I reviewed both. An open and honest review I have no ties to Old Town.

Perhaps the # one selling pedal kayak in the world. The hobie outback.

2019 model

Specifications *
  • Crew: 1
  • Length: 12' 9" / 3.89 m
  • Width: 34" / .86 m
  • Capacity: 425 lbs / 192.78 kg
  • Fitted Hull Weight: 85 lbs / 38.56 kg * (kayak only)
  • Fully Rigged Weight: 103 lbs / 46.72 kg * (kayak plus seat plus pedal drive)

If the weight is too much to car top you can consider a trailer or a thule hullivator or purchasing a pickup.with a bed extender? But keep in mind you still need to get it from your vehicle to the water and from your storage area to your vehicle.  I would also recommend some big wheels for your kayak cart. Maybe the 30cm wheeleez wheels ?  

Warning this kayak may feel heavier after a long day on the water. :)

1 hour ago, buddha162 said:

Hobie Compass is 68lbs stripped, Revo 13 is 70lbs. You should demo the prop vs mirage drive models to see which one you prefer. They are very different pedaling motions. 

I would second this. Find a Hobie dealer to demo and see if they have any demos or past year models. They will still come with the warranty. The dealer I bought from here in NH was great and had a variety of discounted models, and I was able to demo.

The weights are pretty close between  the compass and revo 13. Not sure which one sells better?

hobie compass specs:

• Length: 12’ / 3.66 m
  • Width: 34” / 0.86 m
  • Capacity: 400 lbs / 181 kg
  • Fitted Hull Weight: 68 lbs 
  • Fully Rigged Weight: 87 lbs 
  • Hull Construction: Rotomolded Polyethylene

Hobie revo 13 specs

Specifications *
  • Length: 13' 5" / 4.09 m
  • Width: 28.5" / .72 m
  • Capacity: 350 lbs / 159 kg
  • Fitted Hull Weight: 70.5 lbs
  • Fully Rigged Weight: 88 lbs

The revo 11 comes in at the lightest weight of the hobie pedal kayaks.

It is also the smallest length.

Specifications *

• Length: 11' 6" 
  • Width: 29"
  • Capacity: 275 lbs
  • Fitted Hull Weight: 64 lbs
  • Fully Rigged Weight: 81 lbs 

Disclaimer most kayak weights are an estimate at best. Actual weights may vary. 

Edited by dbjpb

1 hour ago, dbjpb said:

Warning this kayak may feel heavier after a long day on the water. :)

Especially if you have a cooler with ice and 20# of keepers! Up that beach can seem like a deathmarch.

I highly recommend the compass especially for your price point. I feel like the revolution is more for the adventurous that don’t mind the occasional spill. I own the revo16 (speed and handling) and I’ve owned a PA12. You just have to be mindful when using the revo and the compass is way more forgiving (super stable). 

Okay, much helpful info from everyone and I thank you. This is a new adventure for me so I'm trying to get it right while being on a tight budget. I have another question about scupper kayak carts. I've seen these range from $59.00 well into the mid $100.00. is this an area where I can cut back on cost and will the less expensive ones still get me from the car to the water without issues and are they all pretty much universal fitting "adjustable"?

Edited by pclassic
Spelling