Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FishHawk II

Lines for two handed lines

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

With all the fuss about two handed rods one of the biggest questions is what type of line set up do you guys use?  One of the most confusing aspects of this set up is the leader system?  Do you use MOW tips on Skagit lines? It seems very confusing ...can someone clear this up? For example, give us your set up for fishing 

stripers at the Inlet on Cape Cod . FishHawk

Edited by FishHawk II

on my 9/10- SCi Angler 3rd Coast intermediate Skagit with MOW heavy tips.  On my 7 wt, I was using an OPST, but just picked up a rio max Skagit to try this year with medium MOW tips.

FishhawkII

Try to keep it simple. 

You can use a skagit line ,a Scandi line or if you can find one an Airflow Beach Line in a S6 sinker.

You can then put on any tip you fancy. Mow tip or a longer tip. Depends on length of your rod to. Again all depending on how deep and how fast.

T11 to T17 cut to length if real deep and fast.

You can get depth with an Intermediate line by shoving the rod tip well under the surface and keep it there whilst fly fishes. I use that technique in quite a few Cape Cod Inlets. Some times fish are on top or close to it. Especially during the night.

Is your skagit head a floater or an Intermediate  that will have an effect at the angle the line will make from base of skagit  where it joins the running line to the fly.

I would not like to use a short heavy Mows tip as it could drop well below skagit in a steep hinge type angle. Poor for take detection.

Try stuff out and it comes clear pretty quickly.

mike