wtfooptimax200

Plugs vs Eels

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

If I want bigger fish its an eel, generally rigged with an eel squid. It is far easier to catch bigger fish consistently with eels. Also, when I am throwing eels I rarely even carry a plug with me. You will give up numbers but do better with size.

its been well over 10 years since i tossed eels of any sort,i do use them occasionally off my kayak.i am pretty confident that i can catch as big a fish on plugs as i could on eels,to each their owm

n

I have fond memories of my farther and I, drifting live eels on edge's of deep water channels in late fall. One trip we got caught in a cold snap; the temperature dropped so quick the salt water wash down hose froze. Ounce we started sliding around the deck it was time for a trip back to the barn, reliving the day knowing another year reached it's end.

Safe in the berth the boat was winterized on the spot, till it could be haled out for winter storage.

Had a lot of fun back then. I would give anything, to make those drifts with my dad, one more time

I used to fish eels a ton, years ago. Actually had an outdoor locker at Watch Hill Outfitters so I could get them after hours at night. They are definitely a big fish catcher for sure, and can still remember some hard takes that almost took the rod out of my hands! Not sure if the bass love ‘em or hate ‘em, but they hit them hard!

I finally got sick of the spending so much money, the ass ache of carrying them, and trying to keep them alive. On one of my final nights, I was fishing a favorite spot in Westerly at about 2 am. I took my bucket from my locker at WHO and went to the truck to put them in. As I was moving some gear, I accidentally knocked over the bucket and 8 slithering snakes spread out in the parking lot. As I started cussing and trying to capture the little bastids, and you know how that goes with bare hands, a cop drove by and slowed and whipped his spotlight on me! I must’ve  looked like a complete idiot, cause he stopped for a few seconds, laughed out loud, and yelled,”I’de help ya, but I ain’t touching them things!!” I still chuckle when I think about him recanting that story to his buddies.

I switched to a 9” McKenna style Sluggo and have never looked back! I feel like that they work just as well too.

Admittedly I don’t fish eels much anymore. Back when i did they were in a class of their own. Far better than lures as long as you can present them correctly.  These days it is harder to get big eels. You can toss todays eels with a light spinning rod for the back bay. Not my idea of eeling. That was my primary reason for getting away from them. Not all eels are created equal. Bigger was always better and if I was to put the time in it was going to be with stout gear and big snakes. Not saying a small eel can’t bag a nice fish but bigger eels were hands down better and sadly a thing of the past.

Posted (edited) · Report post

23 hours ago, wtfooptimax200 said:

It seems like I'm always asking "vs" questions and I apologize.  I learn so much from them and I think that they inspire fun conversation/debate.  So here goes another.  This weekend I attended a surfcasting day at a local tackle shop on the CT coast.  I watched a great demo by Toby Lapinski showing his two techniques for rigging deal eels.  He did a great job demonstrating and had tremendous patience with questions.  On the ride home I was left with a gnawing question that I wish I had thought of during the demo:

When do you decide to fish eels vs plugs?

I'm so new to this game that I don't have a good methodolgy on making this selection, but I'm sure that some of you guys have a wealth of info on the topic.  Any thoughts are appreciated.

I let the fish make that decision for me but my preference would always be to use whatever had the biggest hooks 

Edited by SC

if youre fishing at night and targetting bigger fish from shore, i think theyre a necessary part of stacking the odds in your favor and being versatile 

- fishing riggies and livies as search lures, helps me be confident that fish are there or not, rather than wondering if they dont like my plug presentation

- IF you can present them, as guys said already

- deep fast water or at the end of a long cast, sure plugs + jigs have an advantage

some of the pain and cost can be managed but takes investment

-35gal garbage can in the garage saves trips to B&T, and stock up on big ones when you find em

- trap your own, but i havent gone that far yet

- fish em live, when theyre dead, throw em on a jig head and they still slay, or rig em later

- skinning plugs like SS poppers and needles can help with distance limitations

have had good nights of big fish on plugs, but discovering bites, dialing in, and consistency in bigger fish wouldnt have happened for me without eels

at a certain point i think very experienced guys may get so dialed to certain bites / areas/ patterns that they dont need the advantages of eels anymore, but i aint there yet

Posted (edited) · Report post

Buying storing caring managing eels- pain in the ass 

having a beer after a 3 hr bite with eels yielding multiple fish over 30lbs- Priceless!

watching bass slurping herring in a freshwater river 40 miles from saltwater fishing with plugs=Frustrating 

going back next night with giant eels and catching a 45 lb bass= Worth it!

Edited by NewEngBoy011

One of my fishing buddies has a 30 gallon aquarium in his garage where he keeps his eels during the season. He goes to bait store and stocks up on the eels and brings them home so he has a supply. He outfishes me as I go with plugs.