fishfinder401

Coolers opening lengthwise

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

So, I was wondering if anyone knew of any coolers that opened lengthwise, as in the hinges is on one of the small sides. Reason I'm looking for this is I feel it would be more convenient on my kayak.

I feel like I have seen one at some point, but haven't had any luck funding one

Yeah, I would think that modifying one wouldn’t be too difficult. Probably your best bet.

What size cooler are you using?

I floundered fished with my kayak and kept them on a stringer hanging off the side. Usually still alive when I finished and then transferred to the cooler. You could also good with soft sided cooler, I would think much easier to move and store.

2 hours ago, JTR said:

Yeah, I would think that modifying one wouldn’t be too difficult. Probably your best bet.

What size cooler are you using?

Not using one at the moment so could be pretty flexible on sizing.

25 mins ago, squidder 329 said:

I floundered fished with my kayak and kept them on a stringer hanging off the side. Usually still alive when I finished and then transferred to the cooler. You could also good with soft sided cooler, I would think much easier to move and store.

I have used a stringer in the past but on hot summer days would like to be able to nice them after bleeding them out. A soft cooler may be worth looking into, but I feel there is more I can do with a hard one

1 hour ago, fishfinder401 said:

I have used a stringer in the past but on hot summer days would like to be able to nice them after bleeding them out. A soft cooler may be worth looking into, but I feel there is more I can do with a hard one

100% bleed and chill your fish asap on hot summer days! 

Assuming the cooler is sitting lengthwise behind you, the traditional opening ain't bad...it stays open when you flip the lid, and closing it is easy too. If the cooler opens the other way, I'm not sure how I'd reach the lid with the hinge near the rudder lol. Maybe I'm picturing this wrong. 

I've been using small (20QT) yeti-style coolers for fluke/porgies/tog...more than enough for some block ice and a few keeper fish. If you don't keep blues/stripes or 50 porgies lol you can downsize your cooler quite a bit!

19 mins ago, buddha162 said:

100% bleed and chill your fish asap on hot summer days! 

Assuming the cooler is sitting lengthwise behind you, the traditional opening ain't bad...it stays open when you flip the lid, and closing it is easy too. If the cooler opens the other way, I'm not sure how I'd reach the lid with the hinge near the rudder lol. Maybe I'm picturing this wrong. 

I've been using small (20QT) yeti-style coolers for fluke/porgies/tog...more than enough for some block ice and a few keeper fish. If you don't keep blues/stripes or 50 porgies lol you can downsize your cooler quite a bit!

yeah realistically i would be keep a few scup, seabass, tog or fluke, and thats about it, a normal cooler probably is fine to be honest, although a lot of the ones im looking at latch closed so they are water tight, so im not sure how reaching the far latch would be. If i dont go for a lengthwise opening one i am mostly looking at the engle one at the moment

3 mins ago, fishfinder401 said:

yeah realistically i would be keep a few scup, seabass, tog or fluke, and thats about it, a normal cooler probably is fine to be honest, although a lot of the ones im looking at latch closed so they are water tight, so im not sure how reaching the far latch would be. If i dont go for a lengthwise opening one i am mostly looking at the engle one at the moment

I usually have mine set up width-wise behind me (I fish on a SUP thing), the few times I had it lengthwise I just left the far latch open. 

You can install track mounts on those rotomolded coolers, very versatile and they keep ice for a long time. Just heavy...