dynasty

Start of the fishing season

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

I went today to the Charles River, not expecting to do any more than practice casting, but I hooked into a really strong fish that managed to get off. The thing was peeling drag every time I reeled it in a few turns. 

2 mins ago, yemista said:

I went today to the Charles River, not expecting to do any more than practice casting, but I hooked into a really strong fish that managed to get off. The thing was peeling drag every time I reeled it in a few turns. 

It was probably a B.F.Goodrich AT job !

It certainly was not. I thought it had to be since I did not expect to catch any fish but tires did not move the line left and right in the water

Posted (edited) · Report post

48 mins ago, yemista said:

I went today to the Charles River, not expecting to do any more than practice casting,

I work downtown, near North Station, and I drive on Storrow, to and from work. Recently, while commuting to work, I realized that I could use my canal bike along the Charles bike path to run and gun a decent amount of river shoreline, especially in the spring when the herring are spawining. I saw a guy a couple of years ago riding a canal bike near Kendall Square, heading towards the river, so I'm not the first to think of it. 

Edited by zak-striper

That's interesting, I've always heard that the best region of the Charles to fish is south of the Waltham Dam. I guess the rest of the river is in better condition these days. I was fishing in the Dedham area myself

59 mins ago, yemista said:

I was fishing in the Dedham area myself

You're a few dams up river from where I am. Think you hooked  a big carp or a sturgeon? I wonder if sturgeon are in the Charles. I know CT river used to have them, or possibly still does. 

3 hours ago, yemista said:

That's interesting, I've always heard that the best region of the Charles to fish is south of the Waltham Dam. I guess the rest of the river is in better condition these days. I was fishing in the Dedham area myself

Maybe you foul hooked a carp. Or could have been a pike. 

Speaking of the Charles, how soon do you think the fishing action gets good? I'm thinking about going out and getting my line wet on bass or crappie while having a second rod standing by for catfish and carp.

Given the power of the pull, id bet on it being a foul hooked carp or pike. 

25 yrs ago we used to fish on shore just below the charles river locks and do pretty well when the herring showed up. This is in ctown. However access was probably a lot easier then than now. Havent been there in a long time.