HillTop

Extra Fast Sink for TH Rod

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

I've never fished a sinking line before but would like to try doing so this spring for a couple of crab patterns I've been playing around with.    Wondering if anyone who uses a TH'r who throws any significant grains has an opinion on the SA  Deepwater Express Shooting Head?    My TH casts quite well with between 550 & 650 grains, I tend to like it on the heavier side.    There's a particular stretch of water with a very sandy bottom that we fish each spring that rips pretty well at mid-tide and in some places there's some decent depth involved.    Rather than putting a ton of weight on my fly I'd like to have a sink line solution to keep fly weight reasonable.    Recently saw the SA Deepwater and thought this might work.   Obviously with a sinking line, especially a fast sink, I need to strip more into the rod before I unplug to start my cast so my typical 34' - 38' foot head may be too long.    In this instance thinking that I should go with the 700 or 850 grain line and per the instruction chart, (cut to match rod), included with the line, trim to an acceptable casting grain weight whereby I can reduce the head length to a more manageable casting length, in essence killing two birds with one stone (appropriate grain weight to head length ratio).    Since I have no experience with a setup like this does this sound like the right approach ? 

This is the line in question.

HT

sink1.jpg.471204af5027adfbb80fa1a01e4a0aff.jpg

sink2.jpg.ff31d8cae579c617de44ad92f198402e.jpg

Sinking lines are the way to go to fish deep.  The specs you posted are for 30’ heads.  If you buy 700-850 grains at 30’, and trim it down to a lower weight, you’ll end up with a short line that won’t carry distance.  

I suggest buying 35’ of T-14 (find a place that sells by the foot).  35’ of T-14 = 500 grains. Seems underlined, but fast full sink lines load rods far deeper than intermediates and floaters.  You’ll be able to get by with fewer grains in the full sink.  As an example, I have a rod that I like with 425 grains intermediate overhead, and it throws 330 grains of T-11 great.  

PS ... on shorter heads, I often fish 22-23’ of T-14 or T-17 on single handers to get deep when casting ease is important, but casting distance isn’t.  Depends on your specific needs.  

HT,

I use scientific Anglers UST sink5 and faster for my fast sinking heads and they toss everything. Crab flies will be a walk in the park. The 10/11wt is 650 grains and should be around a 36' head. Just the ticket for you. They are scandi heads but I know from my own that the higher density USTs are more like WF heads without a rear taper and less like a traditional scandi profile. 

Even better you can find lots of them on sale for less than $40.

That would be my recommendation. 

Second the recommendation for the Scientific Anglers Ultimate Scandi (UST) heads.  They can also be cut back a bit from the front.  They were available for awhile discounted on Sierra.  Now are around $30+   Can do straignt shots of T material for less cost.  I use both.

I never cut lines from the tip because light tip calms down the line loop. Heavy level lines also cast bad without tapering tip.

Spey lines can be cut from the rear for overhead casting but then they loose weight fast. Some heads have rear tapers which is lighter than thick belly so removing it takes out less weight. Rear taper can be use as tip on other lines.

For Spey casting tuning the head lighter is best to remove sections from the middle.

Esa

I fish straight T14 or T17 30' on my opal 9/10 of the lazer line for fishing crabs.  Once you get the stroke down, it casts pretty well ( the release is the challenge).

On 3/12/2019 at 6:18 AM, crunch said:

I never cut lines from the tip because light tip calms down the line loop. Heavy level lines also cast bad without tapering tip.

I generally don't either, but the UST heads' taper is unusual for a "scandi" (more like a hybrid taper).  The front section is often higher density than the rear (for the float/Int/sink or Int/sinkX/ sinkY versions).  They cast more or less like a long-ish shooting head.  These are not delicate delivery heads to begin with - as Red mentioned they are unlike most scandi heads in this regard.  The sinking ones cast better than level T material of the same length.

13 mins ago, Mike Oliver said:

Does level T actually cast.

mike

Mike I have used just level T with a shooting mono similar to Lazer.  As @titleguy said it takes getting used to the release.  You can get some good distance and because it is so thin and heavy nothing gets down faster than T-17.  There was a deep structure area last year I was really worried about losing fly lines so I cut my own Level T-17 heads because if I hung them up it was cheap to break them off in comparison to losing a fly line.  Its a good option for getting deep the bad thing is I found I don't like the sensitivity of the mono shooting line compared to a low stretch fly line core. I am sure I missed some hits, but I also lost two heads in that area which would have been two full fly lines if I was using those instead. Every approach has positive and negative attributes.

Mike-  it actually casts pretty well once you figure out the loop and release.  One roll cast to load and then pick and shoot.  It's a very slow casting motion and big open loop.  If you try to force it, the loop collapses in a pile or you get the MOATL ( mother of all tailing loops).  The guys who fish crabs a lot up here are fishing 7 weight speys or switches with a cut down T14 or T17.

It was a bit tongue in cheek. I have fished Airflow fast sink which have a level head and Rio Origional Out Bounds. Loop formation is not thre main attribute. But they can get out there.

I wonder if you might get on with fly line running line with your T17 heads. Ok might not sing quite as fast but could be workable. I am not a big fan of mono as a running line. Last resort.

mikey

Thanks titleguy. Maine I was casting full heads of fast sink also to fish crabs blind cast along the bottom. Not T17 but still nasty. Mostly on my TH. Hard  to describe how I cast great big crabs with tungsten dumbbell eyes on them. But pretty it was not.

I guess I must have been chucking open loops to thinking back.

It was good fun. You fishing flats or inlets with your crabs.

mike

Used T-14 on 9 and 10 weights stuffed braided nylon backing heads trimmed for maximum smoke. Roll them up, roll them out, one backcast and let them go. Did the same for deep reservoirs with a converted carp rod and leadcore, not pretty and very much "chuck 'n duck" in windy weather. Reckon a TH rod would handle the line with a lot more authority.