fishfinder401

Chrome powder coat

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

So I was looking on the Eastwood site at their powder coat paints and noticed they have a promising looking chrome. Has anyone used this as an easier alternative to having things chrome plated? I like the idea of being able to make chrome bucktails

I think its official name is Extreme Chrome Bonded Powder Coating Eastwood

I've used a powder called "Ultimate Chrome". It looks beautiful before you clear coat it, but looks nothing like chrome after the clear coat. Clear coat is necessary in order to allow the chrome powder to be outdoor friendly.

I would expect the same to be true of the Eastwood product. 

In general, the chrome powder is a great under coat for powders requiring a reflective base coat such as candy apple red or other candy colors, but is a disappointment as far as a chrome replacement for outdoors.

That said, it might be OK for bucktails but will need a pretty thick clear coat to survive more than a few retrieves. 

Next time I'm playing around with powder coating, I'll try a chrome bucktail and see what it looks like. Or, if you'd like I can mail you a one ounce jar of the ultimate chrome (I have a pound of it and have only used a bit so far) and you can try yourself.

PS Nearly every bass I caught last fall (and I caught a bunch) were on an all white bucktail. 90 percent of the rest were caught on a white bucktail with a streak of chartreuse (when the water was a bit cloudy). A few of them were caught on a popper just to mix it up a bit and see a surface strike.

11 mins ago, davef said:

I've used a powder called "Ultimate Chrome". It looks beautiful before you clear coat it, but looks nothing like chrome after the clear coat. Clear coat is necessary in order to allow the chrome powder to be outdoor friendly.

I would expect the same to be true of the Eastwood product. 

In general, the chrome powder is a great under coat for powders requiring a reflective base coat such as candy apple red or other candy colors, but is a disappointment as far as a chrome replacement for outdoors.

That said, it might be OK for bucktails but will need a pretty thick clear coat to survive more than a few retrieves. 

Next time I'm playing around with powder coating, I'll try a chrome bucktail and see what it looks like. Or, if you'd like I can mail you a one ounce jar of the ultimate chrome (I have a pound of it and have only used a bit so far) and you can try yourself.

PS Nearly every bass I caught last fall (and I caught a bunch) were on an all white bucktail. 90 percent of the rest were caught on a white bucktail with a streak of chartreuse (when the water was a bit cloudy). A few of them were caught on a popper just to mix it up a bit and see a surface strike.

I would definitly be willing to give it a shot and see how it holds up, does it tarnish or is it just not very durable unless clear coated?

The Eastwood stuff does mention though they recommend their super gloss clearcoat for best results

10 mins ago, fishfinder401 said:

I would definitly be willing to give it a shot and see how it holds up, does it tarnish or is it just not very durable unless clear coated?

The Eastwood stuff does mention though they recommend their super gloss clearcoat for best results

PM me a mailing address 

I only ever painted one reel with it. Looked great until the clear coat. It went straight back in the sand blaster after clear coat and I chose a different color, so I can't comment on durability.

6 mins ago, davef said:

PM me a mailing address 

I only ever painted one reel with it. Looked great until the clear coat. It went straight back in the sand blaster after clear coat and I chose a different color, so I can't comment on durability.

sent the PM, i wonder how it would be if you mixed it in with a colored powder coat, would it just end up a little metallic?

I had the same result after clear coating with-epoxy-or paint.

What happens if you use clear powder coat? I don't see it listed much anymore -but they make it.

Just now, salt deficient said:

whats the base material?   Lead jigs, wood, resin?

If it's lead jigs, you can try tin instead.

the plan was on lead jigs, and do you mean pouring it with tin isntead of lead?

1 hour ago, Gatr522 said:

I had the same result after clear coating with-epoxy-or paint.

What happens if you use clear powder coat? I don't see it listed much anymore -but they make it.

My experience posted above was with clear powder coat over the chrome. It was the clear powder recommended by the MFG for the chrome.

3 hours ago, davef said:

My experience posted above was with clear powder coat over the chrome. It was the clear powder recommended by the MFG for the chrome.

Thanks for saving me the effort.  

Even chrome paints that I've used have the same effect when you try to clear cost. There must be solution- or perhaps chrome color is not compatible with clear coating.

2 mins ago, Gatr522 said:

Thanks for saving me the effort.  

Even chrome paints that I've used have the same effect when you try to clear cost. There must be solution- or perhaps chrome color is not compatible with clear coating.

What is the necessity with chrome paints yo be clear coated? Forgive me if that's a stupid question

2 mins ago, fishfinder401 said:

What is the necessity with chrome paints yo be clear coated? Forgive me if that's a stupid question

Not really a necessity. I used to experiment with paints & powder coats- mostly on jigs/bucks and I was never successful with chrome IF I clear coated it. Out of curiosity I wanted to know why.

I like chrome for fluke balls and tin bucktails mostly. The metal plating or tin does it for me and if it strikes me-they can be clear coated just fine. 

I just tinker with things- or used to. Every powder chromed lead buck or ball I clear coated turned immediately to a dull gray.

24 mins ago, Gatr522 said:

Not really a necessity. I used to experiment with paints & powder coats- mostly on jigs/bucks and I was never successful with chrome IF I clear coated it. Out of curiosity I wanted to know why.

I like chrome for fluke balls and tin bucktails mostly. The metal plating or tin does it for me and if it strikes me-they can be clear coated just fine. 

I just tinker with things- or used to. Every powder chromed lead buck or ball I clear coated turned immediately to a dull gray.

So does the powder chrome work fine on it's own then?

6 mins ago, fishfinder401 said:

So does the powder chrome work fine on it's own then?

looks like shiny chrome. I don't know how durable it would be-as I never got that far. Looks great

7 mins ago, Gatr522 said:

looks like shiny chrome. I don't know how durable it would be-as I never got that far. Looks great

Sounds like it time for me, or more so my jigs to be Guinea pigs then