Rocdoc

New to Forum - rod question

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Hi,

I just joined the forum. Been fly fishing for many years, mainly trout. Done some salt here and there but all in the Keys and  Bahamas for tarpon and bones.

Anyhow, just bought a summer place in the low tax state of CT ... Looking to do some striper fishing there, pending the boat purchase. For now, I will beg the guy down the street to take me on his boat.

Will be fishing Fishers Island Sound, The Race, Watch Hill , etc.. I have a couple of 8 weights. Should I be moving up to a 9 or 10wt rod?

Rocdoc

Why wait for the boat. Shore fishing is very exciting for Stripers. You can learn info that will be useful for when you do get afloat. You may also find that you enjoy shore based fishing so much that you want to continue with it as well as boat fish.

From a boat or shore my choice every time is a rod that will cast a 10 wt to AAFTM spec fly line .

8 wts proper 8 wts are a little under powered.

mike

The nice thing about a boat is you can rig up a number of boats, :) I know when I go fishing with my buddy I will bring  an 8, 9 and 10 and he would do the same, that way we were covered for just about anything we would run into with regards to fish and water conditions.

I think until you get the boat you should research what rods. reels, lines etc that you think will work for you from shore a well.

Welcome to the forum !

If I had consistent access to a boat, and wanted to save some money on my gear I would buy a one or two piece rod in 10w and another in 8w.  I'd mainly use the 10w if I didn't know what size fish were around.  If I was picking up mostly dinks I'd switch to an 8w that still had some guts.

Temple Fork makes a rod in 8w and 10w (only two choices) called the "Tough Fly Rod" (TFR) for around $150.  Two piece rods with a ton of guts.  Easy to fish, very tolerant of line choice.   I have the 8w and it's a great stick, very light in hand.  Can throw a large variety of lines.  Also did I mention it is cheap?

You've moved to striper paradise.

Definitely get a 10WT. 

Spend some dough on it - you'll be using it a lot.  

In Ct your biggest issue will be finding access, not finding a good rod. Lots of juicy looking shoreline from Byrum all the way to Watch Hill RI. IMO a decent 9 wt will be all the muscle you need. A 10 wt will help when the wind's howling.

Thanks everyone. Looks like a 10 wt may be the logical choice. My new neighbor showed me pics of monsters caught locally. 

For sure shore fishing would be a good idea for now. I'm close to Bluff Point State Park , CT so may try that first. Now to figure out lines, leaders flies, etc..

Is there a local fly shop along the CT shore that people recommend?

+1 on the 10wt........That area has a lot of big fish.   If you are not familiar with the area, Niantic and the parks east offer some great rocky shorelines to fly cast from.  The cove just west of Bluff Point is good for wading.  

On 3/12/2019 at 8:26 AM, JCH said:

You've moved to striper paradise.

Definitely get a 10WT. 

Spend some dough on it - you'll be using it a lot.  

Ditto.  Great Ramp to Little Narragansett Bay across the water from Westerly.  There is a sand bar in the middle of that bay.  Check it out for sight fishing on flats.You are not far from decent boat launches in the RI South Counties and the Breachway ponds.

Welcome aboard! Your going to like it here. Friendlest Folk in the world!   The RI natives will swear that there are no fish in RI.  They lie!  :howdy: 

Edited by RJ

Thank you all. I'm getting psyched!

Let's talk about used boats if possible. I have a sailboat in Mystic, so I know the waters fairly well and have the CT license , etc...

Are we thinking: 17-19 ft. Boston Whaler type boat? Center console?