Dieseldog13

Top 5 Surf Fishing lure colors

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Dieseldog13 said:

NJFish85 started a great thread on top 5 surf fishing lures. I went thru the posts and tallied each lure. Bucktail jigs and SP Minnows are by far leading the pack with SS Darter next. 

My only surf fishing experience was 30 years ago in Maine. My 12 year old son and I were chucking cut bait from the beach. My son landed a 46 pound Striper that day. I thought he was going to get dragged in and offered to get a grip of him. “Don’t touch me” was his reply. Lol. 

I will be surf fishing the eastern CT shore and would like suggestions on lure color. Bucktail jigs I have figured out but what about SP Minnows, SS Darters, Gibb’s Pencil Poppers and Mag Darters. Also, are you fishing just chrome Kastmasters and do you like them dressed up? Thanks guys!

I would say a white gibbs pencil in 1.5 oz, a 1 oz and 1.5 oz kastmaster with a bucktail hook, and the bronze back mag darter in 1oz are plugs I would really not want to be without in eastern ct. I would also say a SS popper in 1.5 oz in white or blue/white would be another must have along with some minnow swimmers in different sizes like the SP.  You can’t go wrong with an olive over pearl for a color imo. Sort of universal. There are no magic lures. All of the ones I mentioned will take fish if you can present them effectively. There in lies the key. 

White, white, white, chartreuse and black, alternative to black is blurple.  That said, "chartreuse" means something different to every plug manufacturer and angler. There are "chartreuse" plugs out there that are hard to distinguish from yellow, and some that I'd call almost Block Island green. 

White or bone (another overused description) are as universal as anything in fishing. Don't rush to buy multiple plugs in any color except maybe white/bone. There are places with a strong association with a given color, like "Block Island Green," and the yellow pencil poppers so very very popular at Montauk. Learn your water, and buy accordingly. 

Massmike are you trying to tell me that you like white? Lol.

Guys, thanks for all of your replies. I appreciate you taking the time to voice your opinions. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Daytime

1.Yellow over white 

2.white

3.bone

4.Bunker/olive or brown back white belly with a few spots

5.fire on the mountain

honorable mentions chartreuse white belly ,green Mack, block island green, blue Mack, wacky Mack and lots of others

Nightime

1.Bone surprisingly

2.smokey joe

3.Blurple

4.black

5.tautog

Edited by t_man7

1.White seems most universal 

2.Green (all shades depending on conditions) comes above yellow on my list....That has a lot to do with the spots I fish though.

3. Yellow

4. Dark over light. Could be any two colors really, more about a silhouette and the contrast.

5. Pink 

On a side note, I cannot catch a damn thing on red head white body lures. I’ve even switched to them while on a hot bite just to break the curse and I just have terrible luck with that pattern. A chartruese head white body Zara spook though, will never leave my bag in case I’m having one of those nights where the skunk is waiting on shore for me.... 

I think you could do pretty well using white, yellow and black/burple with a few flo yellow or chartreuse colored plugs. I think I would also carry a squid colored SS darter in the evening too.

If you had only one color, for day and night, that would be white. Actually, a LIGHT color. White, bone, chicken-scratch, white with some other color over it, any very light color will do. Second one you should buy is black. Black will work at night, and during day. White will also work at night, even on dark nights. Baitfish don't turn black at night, and predatory fish still find them. Let the fish tell you which ones they want. After black and white, yellow or chartreuse will work. Then you can get picky, such as blurple, etc,. when the plug junkie addiction worsens. But to start with, get those plugs in a light color (such as white) and a black.