Dieseldog13

Top 5 Surf Fishing lure colors

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

NJFish85 started a great thread on top 5 surf fishing lures. I went thru the posts and tallied each lure. Bucktail jigs and SP Minnows are by far leading the pack with SS Darter next. 

My only surf fishing experience was 30 years ago in Maine. My 12 year old son and I were chucking cut bait from the beach. My son landed a 46 pound Striper that day. I thought he was going to get dragged in and offered to get a grip of him. “Don’t touch me” was his reply. Lol. 

I will be surf fishing the eastern CT shore and would like suggestions on lure color. Bucktail jigs I have figured out but what about SP Minnows, SS Darters, Gibb’s Pencil Poppers and Mag Darters. Also, are you fishing just chrome Kastmasters and do you like them dressed up? Thanks guys!

White

Black/Blurple

Yellow/yellow/white

Jersey Killer (Chart/white)

White

Color matters when it matters, but most of the time im just throwing a profile and a shade.

White/Bone

Chrome/Silver Flash (includes Black over Silver, Blue over Silver, etc. etc. anything with a chrome belly)

Red Head over White

Blurple (night time)

Chartreus (muddy or stained water)

For CT (my home waters) ar night, I like the blurple SP fished slower than you imagine and, better still a Tsunami Swim jig (4”, 5”) brought in slowly just off the bottom.   Color doesn’t seem to matter much. As a bonus, the Tsunamis have a specially designed tail that detaches thus indicating the presence of bluefish.  

1 hour ago, Mack26 said:

Not just Jersey, those crush ‘em everywhere! :th:

That color combo is called "jersey special" or "jersey killer". I believe that's what he meant.

4 mins ago, Junglist said:

That color combo is called "jersey special" or "jersey killer". I believe that's what he meant.

No, i know that’s what it’s called, just making a joke that they are a killer little plug period! :)