Jay in the Bay

Best shop to string a reel?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, PhilCVG said:

Fish Heads. It is in Ocean Co but I trust them the most. 

Oof!!! Thanks for the rec.. appreciated,  but A/C is way too far for me.  

4 hours ago, Jay in the Bay said:

Oof!!! Thanks for the rec.. appreciated,  but A/C is way too far for me.  

LBI. 30 or 40 mins north of AC.

Cape Cod Reels does great work and does it for a lot less then my local Tackle shop. They stand behind their work and are Tournament proven to be the best. 

If you're not near the Cape you can mail them your reels.

Cape Cod Reels is the best for repairs and Clean, Lube and Tune. They are amazing at bringing life back to old beat up reels. 

Check them out....

www.CAPECODREELS.com

Posted (edited) · Report post

Can someone please explain this need for a shop to spool a reel for you. I get that van staals have an hourglass line lay issue but is it that hard to manually apply backing and spool braid on top? Not trying to be combatative but I've spooled dozens of non VS reels with braid and never had a problem..Im asking a sincere question.

Edited by adams54

On 3/13/2019 at 2:14 PM, adams54 said:

Can someone please explain this need for a shop to spool a reel for you. I get that van staals have an hourglass line lay issue but is it that hard to manually apply backing and spool braid on top? Not trying to be combatative but I've spooled dozens of non VS reels with braid and never had a problem..Im asking a sincere question.

From what I understand (I could be wrong) that in the end, the $/yard for a shop doing it is cheaper, both for the fact they are stringing off of a larger spool, but also, so that you get the right amount of line without leftover braid that is too short to use for anything.

8 mins ago, Jay in the Bay said:

From what I understand (I could be wrong) that in the end, the $/yard for a shop doing it is cheaper, both for the fact they are stringing off of a larger spool, but also, so that you get the right amount of line without leftover braid that is too short to use for anything.

That makes sense!

If you don't install the braid with the correct tension it will twist during use and cause all kinds of issues.  It's way easier just to have someone do it properly..

9 mins ago, Jay in the Bay said:

Thanks.  Do you have an idea of price?

Depends on what you want.  They have a large selection, much more than fishermans supply.  

Call em and ask, they will tell ya.