MakoMike

NOAA Fisheries Announces 2019 Bluefish Specifications

Rate this topic

69 posts in this topic

On 3/15/2019 at 10:12 AM, BullRake said:

There is no absolute statistical data on recreational landings.... think about it surveys are only taken at boat ramps randomly.  No recreational fisherman are polled 7 days a week to give data on bluefish landings.  Commercial fisherman have to submit landing reports that the National Marine Fisheries manages.  Now I am not arguing that NMFS properly manages all states and all fisheries to the best of their ability, but I will say that being a charter captain myself and also a commercial licensed gill netter in 2 states, I fill out a ton of landing reports on a monthly basis that has it broke down exactly by the pound on every day of the month.  Now I am not sure what every fisherman reports, but I know what I submit.  I will just say this, the commercial bluefish landings in the states that I am referring to does not put a dent in the harvest of the bluefish as a whole.  With that being said, Yes I would love to see the bluefish stock increase.  Do I think that the bluefish presence close to shore is typically related to over harvesting or do I honestly believe that it is more closely related to the bluefish staying further out in the ocean because there is a higher abundance of bait in deeper water further out from the shoreline???? I am going to side with option #2 in that argument...  Just my 2 cents.  I personally think this concern is more closely related to the Omega 3 fishery than what most people can conceive....

100,000 metric tons sure is hard for most to think about. It’s as much weight as the AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS NIMITZ.

Omega does some damage.

On 3/15/2019 at 10:12 AM, BullRake said:

. think about it surveys are only taken at boat ramps randomly.  

That is not true! Surveys are planned well in advance and are designed to produce statistically accurate results. It is true that MRIP is an estimate, not a hard count, but it is designed to be an accurate estimate.

On 3/13/2019 at 2:30 PM, smellfish said:

As long as you are not keeping more than your legal limit ... you are legally doing nothing wrong ... morally, well that is up to you decide. We all have an impact on the fishery ... we can all make improvements to minimize our impact to a level we are comfortable with.

Very, very, very well said.

Thank you!

16 hours ago, reel gambler said:

100,000 metric tons sure is hard for most to think about. It’s as much weight as the AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS NIMITZ.

Omega does some damage.

Great Illustration!!

16 mins ago, MakoMike said:

That is not true! Surveys are planned well in advance and are designed to produce statistically accurate results. It is true that MRIP is an estimate, not a hard count, but it is designed to be an accurate estimate.

I am not saying that surveys are not planned well ahead of time Mike, I am stating the fact that the surveys are poorly managed and a minority representation of the recreational catch and efforts due to the fact that they only take place at boat ramps at certain times of the day when fisherman are returning to port in order to put their boat back on the trailer at the boat ramp.  I am not certain of the practices of surveys in your are, but here on the Delmarva Peninsula, which is Delaware, Maryland and Virginia (which contains hundreds of boat ramps total), the surveys are very limited in occurrence.  Therefore, on a scientific perspective, as a science teacher myself, a commercial fisherman, & a charter boat captain and recreational fisherman I can say with certainty that the statistical data on recreational landings is weak at best.  It is more of an estimated number than a factual number.  I am just saying I think in 2019 there is a more safisticated way of collecting valuable data.

1 hour ago, BullRake said:

I am not saying that surveys are not planned well ahead of time Mike, I am stating the fact that the surveys are poorly managed and a minority representation of the recreational catch and efforts due to the fact that they only take place at boat ramps at certain times of the day when fisherman are returning to port in order to put their boat back on the trailer at the boat ramp.  I am not certain of the practices of surveys in your are, but here on the Delmarva Peninsula, which is Delaware, Maryland and Virginia (which contains hundreds of boat ramps total), the surveys are very limited in occurrence.  Therefore, on a scientific perspective, as a science teacher myself, a commercial fisherman, & a charter boat captain and recreational fisherman I can say with certainty that the statistical data on recreational landings is weak at best.  It is more of an estimated number than a factual number.  I am just saying I think in 2019 there is a more safisticated way of collecting valuable data.

Have you read the report of the National science foundation with respect to the MRIP program?

On 3/12/2019 at 4:32 PM, 27conch said:

I knew someone was going to bring up that antiquated argument about kids and snappers. 

Let the kids hit the local ponds and catch sunfish with a worm and bobber.

What other managed species do we have  where it's legal to take juvenile fish like this?

It makes no sense at all for bluefish..There should be a minimum size, say like 15" ??

ANYONE, should be able to catch fish unless catching is banned, but undersized fish get released. Snapper fishing would be still be allowed.....catch and release.  Youth fishers are much better at following regs than the adults.

5 hours ago, BullRake said:

This survey has more holes in it than Swiss cheese. 

For striped bass -  That all party boats and charter fleet combined make up only ~5% of the kill.  Commercial fisherman kill is twice that of all charter and party boats combined.  Rec anglers release mortality accounts for 50% more dead fish than all of the party and charter fleet's (combined) kill.  Seems kinda skewed huh? 

The charter boat captains get a mail survey every two weeks, do you think they might be inclined to fudge the numbers just a bit?  Nobody checks, especially not anybody from the National Science Foundation.

This National Science Foundation approval is about as trustworthy as 5 star restaurant review on Yelp.

The really sad part is the according to Cwitek (an real live knowledgeable source) says this information is trusted by the commissions. Is what it is.