MakoMike

NOAA Fisheries Announces 2019 Bluefish Specifications

Rate this topic

69 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

This 'agreement' is all you need to see understand who is controlling these decisions.  

Bluefish are nearly non-existent north of Cape Ann, and in middling numbers south of there AND the comms can't even reach their quota, BUT the status quo is so good to the decision makers decide the comms get even more!

Like I've been saying in the save the bass thread - the science/limits are a joke designed for one thing - vacuuming clean the ocean.  Don't spend one minute daydreaming the recreational fishery for blues or bass is of any importance to these people. 

Edited by mumichog

4 hours ago, stripedbassking said:

Such a joke, so the commercial quota will increase because no one went over their allowances???? Am I reading that right? 

How the hell did you get that out of that text? You're off by about 180 degrees. Accountability measures are penalties for exceeding the quota.

Last year spring blues came in late and didn't stick around long. Not as many gators either. I haven't caught a blue over 2 lbs in the past 5 falls. 

It’s probably not helping that we use small bluefish for fluke bait, big bluefish for shark bait and all sizes for lobster bait. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I didn't get one bailfest last year of blues on the cape. I didn't try that hard but about 10 trips with only a handful of fish to show for it. I did get my personal best at around 40 inches. Meh.

Edited by Reed422

1 hour ago, z-man said:

It’s probably not helping that we use small bluefish for fluke bait, big bluefish for shark bait and all sizes for lobster bait. 

As long as you are not keeping more than your legal limit ... you are legally doing nothing wrong ... morally, well that is up to you decide. We all have an impact on the fishery ... we can all make improvements to minimize our impact to a level we are comfortable with.

5 hours ago, MakoMike said:

How the hell did you get that out of that text? You're off by about 180 degrees. Accountability measures are penalties for exceeding the quota.

Right, so there weren’t any penalties so they are ok with the increase? 

On 3/11/2019 at 9:39 PM, z-man said:

I can’t believe that they didn’t lower the harvest quota for this year. Does the scientific data really show that the population is fine?  Real world experience has shown it as pretty poor the last few years. I only caught one bluefish all of last year. 

The last assessment was from a few years ago--I think 2015, maybe 2016--and it said that the population was below target, but not overfished and with no overfishing taking place.  That assessment will be updated this August, and it's not impossible that it will say something different at that time.  Recruitment has been below average for a number of years.

7 hours ago, CWitek said:

The last assessment was from a few years ago--I think 2015, maybe 2016--and it said that the population was below target, but not overfished and with no overfishing taking place.  That assessment will be updated this August, and it's not impossible that it will say something different at that time.  Recruitment has been below average for a number of years.

What does the term “target” really mean in management circles ?

i don’t see it ever being referenced in actual decision making 

46 mins ago, JohnP said:

What does the term “target” really mean in management circles ?

i don’t see it ever being referenced in actual decision making 

They use it often at the councils.  As a rule, Btarget=Bmsy.  At ASMFC, that's not always the case.  For example, in the striped bass management plan, Btarget=B1995.  

With fishing mortality, it's a little different.  Fthreshold=Fmsy, and Ftarget is set at some lower level intended to achieve the ABC, ACL, AHL or other specification, depending on the plan.

2 hours ago, CWitek said:

They use it often at the councils.  As a rule, Btarget=Bmsy.  At ASMFC, that's not always the case.  For example, in the striped bass management plan, Btarget=B1995.  

With fishing mortality, it's a little different.  Fthreshold=Fmsy, and Ftarget is set at some lower level intended to achieve the ABC, ACL, AHL or other specification, depending on the plan.

“Target” suggests some they are aiming for 

in striped bass does SSB target have any significance?

or is it like me and my weight target of 185

its aspirational but I have no specific plans to get there and that’s ok

16 mins ago, JohnP said:

“Target” suggests some they are aiming for 

in striped bass does SSB target have any significance?

or is it like me and my weight target of 185

its aspirational but I have no specific plans to get there and that’s ok

It’s 125% of estimated 1995 SSB

4 mins ago, JohnP said:

Yes but does it matter for any decision making?

That’s what we’re about to find out.

Amendment 6 says that if the stock becomes overfished, the Management Board “must” rebuild it to target in a period not to exceed 10 years.  

So the question is whether the Management Board will stand by what it has written, or whether it will interpret “must” to mean “may, but only if they feel like it.”