MakoMike

NOAA Fisheries Announces 2019 Bluefish Specifications

Rate this topic

69 posts in this topic

I knew someone was going to bring up that antiquated argument about kids and snappers. 

Let the kids hit the local ponds and catch sunfish with a worm and bobber.

What other managed species do we have  where it's legal to take juvenile fish like this?

It makes no sense at all for bluefish..There should be a minimum size, say like 15" ??

This year Long Island we had a limited run early spring of some mid size to gorilla blues. But I haven’t seen the fall blues in years  I used to be able to get a good run of some big ones in December but have not seen them in over 5 years. 

29 mins ago, 27conch said:

I knew someone was going to bring up that antiquated argument about kids and snappers. 

What other managed species do we have  where it's legal to take juvenile fish like this?

It makes no sense at all for bluefish..There should be a minimum size, say like 15" ??

Bluefish get no respect at any stage of their lifecycle ... how many times have you seen guys stepping on Bluefish with Korkers while unhooking them .... too many ... a couple of years ago there was a NJ photo where Gators were strung up on a beach fence for a disgusting photo ...  the Rodney Dangerfield of fish

Bluefish have been below target value for about the last 25 years. All along the New England coast we’ve been seeing less blues the past few years. In New Hampshire the party boats haven’t really targeted them for the last 4-years since so few around. None of the states went above quota maybe because of lack of fish. Yet the commercial quota stays the same and the recreational limit stays at 15. Then throw in that the last stock assessment was done in 2015. Many things pointing to a stock headed for trouble but nothing being done. With a difference of over 50% of stock between target and SSB threshold (target 223 million pounds with SSB threshold 112 million pounds) just seems extreme. 

2 hours ago, MichaelT said:

Bluefish have been below target value for about the last 25 years. All along the New England coast we’ve been seeing less blues the past few years. In New Hampshire the party boats haven’t really targeted them for the last 4-years since so few around. None of the states went above quota maybe because of lack of fish. Yet the commercial quota stays the same and the recreational limit stays at 15. Then throw in that the last stock assessment was done in 2015. Many things pointing to a stock headed for trouble but nothing being done. With a difference of over 50% of stock between target and SSB threshold (target 223 million pounds with SSB threshold 112 million pounds) just seems extreme. 

There is supposed to be a benchmark stock assessment coming up soon.

There are thousands of acres of 20lb blues

that stay offshore. They hang with the endless

schools of bass that just don't run the beaches

anymore. Theyre everywhere. A guy in a boat

told me.

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, hydraman said:

This year Long Island we had a limited run early spring of some mid size to gorilla blues. But I haven’t seen the fall blues in years  I used to be able to get a good run of some big ones in December but have not seen them in over 5 years. 

At least for me, the '18 spring bluefish run was pretty awful. I have a back bay spot where it used to be guaranteed hours of monster bluefish fun from late April-Mid May. It was an extremely slow pick last season at this same spot and in most of the other back bay spots I fish. 

Edited by C.Robin

1 hour ago, yosco said:

told me.

This one is a classic. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 3/11/2019 at 4:21 PM, MakoMike said:

Tell me more! 

They were all over South Shore LI as well. I went from never having caught an atlantic bonito, to catching 20+ in a few hours mixed in with albies and some cocktail blues. 

Edited by C.Robin

8 hours ago, yosco said:

told me.

It’s funny those for hire party boats see acres of fish everywhere they go, I think they smoke their breakfast and are seeing things

14 hours ago, 27conch said:

You're right.  There's plenty of sunnies for them to catch.

I didn't grow up local to any freshwater ponds but did grow up around the corner from Jbay.  The first fish I caught was a snapper which I remember my dad helping me reel in.  I think I was 3 years old.  If we plan on having any similar memories going forward, we need to practice C&R. 

Even when there were more blues around, I never understood the lax regs on them.  It makes even less sense now especially when they are virtually non-existent.  But yet they transferred the recs quota to the comms not too long ago.  Yeah, that made a lot of sense.  Unreal.

3 hours ago, stripedbassking said:

Such a joke, so the commercial quota will increase because no one went over their allowances???? Am I reading that right? 

The quota is kind of a joke since in 2017 the actual commercial catch was less than half of the quota and is looking about the same for 2018. 

As bad as striped bass fishing was in the 80s, we had big blues to fill the void.  Nowadays, no big blues, and hardly any bass.

Yeah, I will be selling more of my equipment this spring.