MakoMike

NOAA Fisheries Announces 2019 Bluefish Specifications

Rate this topic

69 posts in this topic

Today we filed a final rule approving and implementing the 2019 specifications for the Atlantic bluefish fishery recommended by the Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council in cooperation with the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission.

The final 2019 specifications are fundamentally the same as 2018, with only minor adjustments to the final commercial quota and recreational harvest limit to account for most recent full year of recreational catch data (2017), and a 4.0 million lb of quota transferred from the recreational to the commercial sector rather than 3.5 million lb in 2018.

Table 1 (below) provides the commercial fishery state allocations for 2019 based on the final 2019 coast-wide commercial quota, and the allocated percentages defined in the Bluefish Fishery Management Plan. No states exceeded their state allocated quota in 2018; therefore, no accountability measures need to be implemented for the 2019 fishing year.

Table 1. 2019 Bluefish State Commercial Quota Allocations.

State

Percent Share

Quota Allocation (lb)

Maine

New Hampshire

Massachusetts

Rhode Island

Connecticut

New York

New Jersey

Delaware

Maryland

Virginia

North Carolina

South Carolina

Georgia

Florida

Total

For more details please read the rule as filed in the Federal Register and our permit holder bulletin .

Posted (edited) · Report post

Great ... they should be extinct by 2020 ... of course with the help of recreational anglers if they come close enough to shore.

Edited by smellfish

1 min ago, 27conch said:

The dumbest thing is that we let people kill the snapper bluefish.  How does that make any sense??

I agree 100% ... and then the angler keeps more than their limit and they say .. “These aren’t Bluefish... they are a different species” ... idiots !!!

How about this year the Atlantic Bonito juvenile killing? I tried to get Mass Marine Fishery to put a limit on them ... hopefully it happens.

9 mins ago, smellfish said:

How about this year the Atlantic Bonito juvenile killing? I tried to get Mass Marine Fishery to put a limit on them ... hopefully it happens.

Tell me more! 

We had a bunch of Juveniles in CC Bay this past season ... guys were filling buckets with them for food & bait ( Bass & Lobster Bait). Heard this went on basically from Maine to Ptown ... no laws were broken since there aren’t any regulations to break. Contacted whoever would listen at Marine Fishery here in MA and I finally spoke with a Mr Pierce who claimed he would try to do something about this ... he asked me for a recommendation ... I first asked 5 fish (15” min) and he kinda balked so I came back with 10 fish (no limit ... same as Bluefish) .... He said he would see what he could do ... have tried reaching out to him and other several times since ... fingers crossed that they put some regulation on them . Waiting for the 2019 to come out ...

20 mins ago, smellfish said:

We had a bunch of Juveniles in CC Bay this past season ... guys were filling buckets with them for food & bait ( Bass & Lobster Bait). Heard this went on basically from Maine to Ptown ... no laws were broken since there aren’t any regulations to break. Contacted whoever would listen at Marine Fishery here in MA and I finally spoke with a Mr Pierce who claimed he would try to do something about this ... he asked me for a recommendation ... I first asked 5 fish (15” min) and he kinda balked so I came back with 10 fish (no limit ... same as Bluefish) .... He said he would see what he could do ... have tried reaching out to him and other several times since ... fingers crossed that they put some regulation on them . Waiting for the 2019 to come out ...

I hadn't heard about that, thanks! I know Dave and he usually tries to do the right thing.

2 mins ago, MakoMike said:

I hadn't heard about that, thanks! I know Dave and he usually tries to do the right thing.

I hope so ... it is a horrible thing to watch your favorite fish get abused like this and there is nothing you could do because no laws are being broken ... we had a similar run of Juveniles about (3) years ago but I didn’t witness the slaughter then.

7 hours ago, MakoMike said:

Today we filed a final rule approving and implementing the 2019 specifications for the Atlantic bluefish fishery recommended by the Mid-Atlantic Fishery Management Council in cooperation with the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission.

The final 2019 specifications are fundamentally the same as 2018, with only minor adjustments to the final commercial quota and recreational harvest limit to account for most recent full year of recreational catch data (2017), and a 4.0 million lb of quota transferred from the recreational to the commercial sector rather than 3.5 million lb in 2018.

Table 1 (below) provides the commercial fishery state allocations for 2019 based on the final 2019 coast-wide commercial quota, and the allocated percentages defined in the Bluefish Fishery Management Plan. No states exceeded their state allocated quota in 2018; therefore, no accountability measures need to be implemented for the 2019 fishing year.

Table 1. 2019 Bluefish State Commercial Quota Allocations.

State

Percent Share

Quota Allocation (lb)

Maine

New Hampshire

Massachusetts

Rhode Island

Connecticut

New York

New Jersey

Delaware

Maryland

Virginia

North Carolina

South Carolina

Georgia

Florida

Total

For more details please read the rule as filed in the Federal Register and our permit holder bulletin .

You say "we". What is your title? Do you get

a vote?  "No states exceeded their state allocated quota

in 2018, therefore,no accountability measures need to be

implemented for the 2019 fishing year". Does this mean

that the powers that be feel the bluefish stock is fine ?

Bluefish from shore in Massachusetts has been terrible for (4) years ... Mackerel have been in Cape Cod Bay during Summer months for about the same number of years ... Coincidence ??? I don't think so .

I can’t believe that they didn’t lower the harvest quota for this year. Does the scientific data really show that the population is fine?  Real world experience has shown it as pretty poor the last few years. I only caught one bluefish all of last year. 

I caught over a hundred but nothing over 4lbs. The problem with the proposed snapper rule is jamaica bay only gets 6" snapper and 3lb plus fish.

15 hours ago, yosco said:

You say "we". What is your title? Do you get

a vote?  "No states exceeded their state allocated quota

in 2018, therefore,no accountability measures need to be

implemented for the 2019 fishing year". Does this mean

that the powers that be feel the bluefish stock is fine ?

Its a press release from NOAA/NMFS so the "we" refers to them. I'm just the messenger. No it means exactly what it says, no state went over it quota so no accountability measures were triggered. That statement has nothing to do with the status of the stock.

20 hours ago, 27conch said:

The dumbest thing is that we let people kill the snapper bluefish.  How does that make any sense??

With the disappearance of winter flounder, I'd hate to see Snappers removed from keeping only for the kids to be able to bike down to the water and get in on the Sport. Perhaps a reduction in bag limit of all sizes. 

20 hours ago, 27conch said:

You're right, much better alive for fluke.