crazy larry

Fly line binding up on reel - why?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Hi all...for some reason I’m struggling to find the words to describe this, but it’s happened more than a few times so maybe someone will know the fix. 

This is morning when I started to pull line off my reel to rig up my rod, the line was wrapped over itself kind of like an overhand knot. When pulling more line off the overlap would move until some point where it would bind up. I’ve had this happen occasionally with fly lines and also backing on reels. I have usually just pulled the line through to “untie” the knot but that might not be practical on a windy beach in the middle of a blitz.

Is there an easier way to clear this problem? Is there a way to avoid it?

here’s a sketch that might clarify my issue:

635B0641-CE52-4316-8D99-931B013F94BD.jpeg.9256a2298f19cdac029e41395cbf40ba.jpeg

18 mins ago, ferret said:

did you reel all the line and leader into the reel after your last fishing trip?

that can do it for sure --

Simple fix, pull the line off the reel until you ca see the line going under the fly line.

Now push the fly line under the wrap so that it forms a loop that you can grab and pull on the loop until all the fly line and leader is pulled free from under the fly line on the reel. Once you do that see if you can now pull line off the reel without it binding up. If it does bind up you will have to repeat this process again. If it doesn’t bind up simply pull the reamaing line on the reel off until you reache the backing. 

If if you were able to pull all the line off the reel just make sure the backing does not have any wraps going under other wraps of the backing. Make sure you can pull some backing off the reel just to make sure it doesn’t bind. You only have to pull the backing off the reel  a few times to make sure it doesn’t bind. If it doesn’t bind you can simply wind everything back onto the reel.

this is a common problem that happens because when people remove the fly, they always wind the leader all the way onto the reel. It is a good idea if you remove your fly and wind the leader onto the reel to leave about 6 inches hanging off the reel. This will prevent the end of the leader from passing under other wraps of the leader causing the problem you now have.

59 mins ago, ferret said:

did you reel all the line and leader into the reel after your last fishing trip?

I did.

38 mins ago, bonefishdick said:

this is a common problem that happens because when people remove the fly, they always wind the leader all the way onto the reel. It is a good idea if you remove your fly and wind the leader onto the reel to leave about 6 inches hanging off the reel. This will prevent the end of the leader from passing under other wraps of the leader causing the problem you now have.

I had a sneaking suspicion that this was my problem...in fact, when I reeled up this morning I put a quick perfection loop at the end of my leader and hooked it over the reel foot.

now I need to go check the other reels. 

Thanks guys!

@Crazy,

This can also happen when you wind your line onto the spool with very little tension and then apply more tension later in the retrieve and bury the line under the looser wraps. 

Another possible cause is winding the line tapered on one side of the spool and then because of the height mismatch the line on the high side slides down over the other wraps causing this same type problem.

HT

An easier way to fix it is to remove the spool and pull the line off the spool as if it were a spinning reel until the snarl is passed.

Herb

9 hours ago, surfrat59 said:

spool overrun...pull slower or tighten drag a bit when stripping line

...Typical cause or backing too loose on spool...

This could be one of those posts that we never find out if the problem was resolved and what he did to fix it.