Livefreeordie

Are you seeing any...

Rate this topic

111 posts in this topic

Understandably, it’s only a very small amount of time. Still, being able to notice a decline over that short time frame is concerning. And I see your point as far as the negativity. I along with a lot of other members here I’m sure still enjoy being out on the water. Even skunking out is a good day just being out on the water. Maybe everyone’s just overreacting and it’s an off year, I’m trying to be optimistic. But then reading the reports in other forums for the surrounding states by guys who have been fishing longer than I’ve been alive and reading the same thing, no fish no size no bait, it’s just concerning. It’d be one thing if it was just CT but from the sounds of it all of New England is seeing the same problems and I think a lot of people are starting to realize how significantly unhealthy the fisheries are. I’m still going to have fun and enjoy it, but I think a lot of people including myself are starting to be more negative just because of the sad reality of the situation

I think we have it all wrong, I just read a thread in flyfishing forum where biggest problem is trying not to catching small bass. The idea is to use large flies if you're only catching the 15inchers and size up for the 30#ers.  I'm going back to my fly rod.  The results are impressive, I also think I need to move up to RI or Mass.  So not only has CT taxed  business out of CT ,but it's sent our Bass east as well. What do you all think about fly fishing as a new way to improve things.

So you are saying big fish will only hit big flies? What about big plugs? Or big swimbaits? Switching to fly fishing makes zero sense.

3 hours ago, nateD said:

So you are saying big fish will only hit big flies? What about big plugs? Or big swimbaits? Switching to fly fishing makes zero sense.

I think what he is trying to get at is that smaller fish are less likely to hit big baits... which does translate to plugs and swimbaits... bigger lures typically get you less fish, but better quality.  Dave Anderson writes a lot about this in various publications and blogs.  

2 mins ago, thebigangrybear said:

I think what he is trying to get at is that smaller fish are less likely to hit big baits... which does translate to plugs and swimbaits... bigger lures typically get you less fish, but better quality.  Dave Anderson writes a lot about this in various publications and blogs.  

Ya I get it big bait = big fish but didn't understand why this meant we should all switch to fly fishing when the same logic applies to any kind of fishing. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

12 mins ago, Craiger12 said:

I took it as a joke. Pretty sure I sensed some sarcasm in there.

You have better senses than I sir, but that would make more sense.

Wish I could help on the western CT fluke but I don't go further than the CT river, if you have a boat there are plenty to be had to the east. From shore all I can catch are 14-17 inchers.

Edited by nateD

28 mins ago, nateD said:

You have better senses than I sir, but that would make more sense.

Wish I could help on the western CT fluke but I don't go further than the CT river, if you have a boat there are plenty to be had to the east. From shore all I can catch are 14-17 inchers.

I'd love to meet up and get out there with you on the kayaks, but that's a haul for me. Might be worth the trip though.

I'm only getting out to wade 1 or 2x/week. Have been seeing more bait (peanuts, bunker, silversides, spearing). Although I've not found a pod of bigger fish yet, I feel it is imminent (maybe tonight?)

I have been jigging up, w/zoom flukes, 3-6 fish/night under 26", in current near river mouths. I may be missing bigger fish, because I cycle thru my wooden big lures, then go right back to the little jigs when I get tired of not catching.

If it makes anyone feel better I made the 20+ mile trip to Block yesterday from Groton to get skunked. Fished from 0530-1030 without a bite on eels. Brought 4 dozen eels and used about 6. Saw two fish get landed the entire time I was there.

I went to a different river mouth Sunday night,and caught 3 shorts on a 3/8oz jig and zoom fluke. Wood produced nothing and I never tried a sluggo. Walked out and to another popular spot a mile away, started feeling feverish and severe joint pain, and skunked at that spot. Supposedly, I'll know if I have  Lyme in 2 days. The Dr. said it's likely the flu, and I agree, but holy crap are all my joints sore, and 102.5 fever. I was gonna call in sick today, but a bunch of Advil and a pot of coffee got me thru until I felt like crap again by 2pm.

I am so 'due' for some bigger fish, I can taste it. Pretty sure if I get another 8 hr sleep night I'll be good to go by Thursday.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 7/15/2019 at 9:08 AM, NPV said:

If it makes anyone feel better I made the 20+ mile trip to Block yesterday from Groton to get skunked. Fished from 0530-1030 without a bite on eels. Brought 4 dozen eels and used about 6. Saw two fish get landed the entire time I was there.

My man... I would suggest you focus more on the sunset into the night bite when you are fishing around the full moon in block. 

Some guys hate the strong moon tides, I love them.  The full moon gives extra visibility, which I feel fires up a bite in the right conditions.  Think about going to an all you can eat restaurant that makes really great food, your gonna stuff your face right away, then after a while your just done eating.  With the extra light, the fish are likely done eating by the time 5:30 rolls around.  

I am a big fan of fishing whenever you can fish, but if you are doing a long distance, big block trip, the moon is a huge factor that you should def consider in your plans.  

Edited by thebigangrybear