Livefreeordie

Are you seeing any...

Rate this topic

111 posts in this topic

Was wade fishing eastern Fairfield county yesterday. Great fishy spot with boulders and depth and came up empty. Went to another 2 spots and nothing. Didn't see any bait. Went to the tackle shop and bought a bunch plugs to at least bring something home. 

Eastern CT in a kayak. Didn’t see much in the way of bait. Fished the incoming and found a decent number of blues. Fished the bottom for a bit to see if anything was around but not a tap

Saturday night, I went back to the same spot I went to Friday night, and essentially repeated the same experience: jigged up around 10 bass between 12" and 34". Had taps on the sluggo, but caught every fish on jighead and zoom fluke (or very similar soft plastic...the Cabela's imitation works fine). The 34" fish fought average, but when I got it close, and it saw me, it made a good run....for a few seconds I thought I had my first big fish of the year.

I still haven't seen a bluefish this year, but my only salt fishing for a couple weeks has been at the same spot. I opted to kayak a lake for LMBass last night instead of wade for stripes/maybe find a blue.

Haven't been out but make quick stops by mid-Fairfield county beaches/ harbors regularly.  Usually by now see plenty of bait - so far (5/28/19) ZIPPO. 

On 5/26/2019 at 5:44 AM, SlackTideBri said:

Was wade fishing eastern Fairfield county yesterday. Great fishy spot with boulders and depth and came up empty. Went to another 2 spots and nothing. Didn't see any bait. Went to the tackle shop and bought a bunch plugs to at least bring something home. 

Yep -- between everyone I know & others I saw fishing I think the total take was like 4 sea robins over the weekend.

Sad times around our neck of the Sound (Fairfield/ Westport/ Norwalk)

10 hours ago, gman1253 said:

Yep -- between everyone I know & others I saw fishing I think the total take was like 4 sea robins over the weekend.

On the boat Sunday for a bit, definitely did not see nor mark our favorite filter feeders, but had plenty of success with the robins. That said, good to know fish taco ingredients are local and active. Couldn't run far, guessing/hoping there is more life farther west of the Westport/Norwalk/Stamford area. 

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 10:11 AM, gman1253 said:

Was out for 3 hours early this morning, incoming tide.  Covered a TON of water in some of the same locations - NOTHING.  Marked a few very random bait "balls" (use loosely, they were not thick like bunker schools show on the sounder).  We tried as shallow as 10' and as deep as 65'.  Even went into a trusty harbor which was devoid of life as well.  Threw all kinds of lures, deep jigged and trolled spoon (had the gear on the boat, said what the hay).  I've been seeing and reading other reports but just didn't happen for us today.

Seems the bait and now some big gals are moving into the far western sound like they typically do each year.  Hope both continue moving into this area

Tight lines

C

Its still early in the year fellas, lets all stay positive!  I had lots of bait two weekends ago.  I did not see much other than the small stuff this past weekend, but with all the extra holiday traffic I am not surprised by that.  Hopefully this weekend it gets going a little better.    

In recent years, it has been less of a migration and more of a concentrated wave of fish.  They seem to all come at once, and fishing is great while they are here.  Then they are gone.  

Went out after work the last few days, topwater spooks and pink plastics are doing really well for me right now. As everyone previously stated small bait everywhere with pods of bunk scattered around in the sound. Nothing close enough to snag/net from shore yet, atleast near me.

Thebigangrybear is right. It's still early and water temps need to come up. Still fun to get out there even though the bite is off. Probably bump into a few of you diehard brothers tomorrow fishing the fairfield vicinity. 

I've had decent luck with the schoolies 18"-22" from shore Fairfield county almost every outing -sandworms and rubber shads is all they seem interested in.

going out early with my son tomorrow morning

Just got back, small pods of bait getting harassed out there. Would switch to Geico like the banner plane overhead read if they promised bigger fish.

Went last night for the first time in a week from shore. Water was dirty, good amount of bait hugging the shoreline, went to a few different beaches. Only thing I saw was a bunch of guys casting into a fishless sound. I maybe missing something this season or maybe it’s me. The fishing near me central CT is horrible.