Livefreeordie

Are you seeing any...

Rate this topic

103 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Craiger12 said:

From shore, boat, kayak? What depths have you been targeting?

shore, anywhere from 3ft to 15 ft with decent current

Schoolies have been hitting hard!  Good success with 4” swim Shad fished low and slow. Also with white Albie Snax hooked weedless with one nail - this has been working better in slower water allowing it time to sink. Also, constant twitching of the Snax. No added action to the Shad. 

Nothing “legal” but plenty around 24”. Lots of breaking fish though I didn’t see any bait when reeling in.  These were all local fish - can tell by their accent. 

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:33 AM, Paul E said:

Schoolies have been hitting hard!  Good success with 4” swim Shad fished low and slow. Also with white Albie Snax hooked weedless with one nail - this has been working better in slower water allowing it time to sink. Also, constant twitching of the Snax. No added action to the Shad. 

Nothing “legal” but plenty around 24”. Lots of breaking fish though I didn’t see any bait when reeling in.  These were all local fish - can tell by their accent. 

Pretty much the same for me, except with a bucktail, and mine seem to have a bit of a new York twang. It slowed down for me this weekend though with the cold front, much harder to get a bite.

I had the occasion to fish a river mouth and catch 10 schoolies, 14-25", as the tide slowed and the water height dropped. The takes were so gentle that I gut hooked one. Fortunately, with the use of pliers, I was able to grip the lead head, push down, and release the hook below. I think the fish lived. I haven't caught a +28" fish in 20 days, and I fish on average 2.5x/wk. Every one of the 20 or so fish I've caught in May have been on zoom flukes with appropriate jig weight to occasionally tap bottom, except for 1 schoolie and 1 weakfish that hit a tiny tiny darter worked slowly with added action.

Funny thing: I’ve had good success with white Albie Snax but not white Tsunami Swim Jigs. Only the darker swim jigs have produced. Not even a bump on the white ones.  

The jigs get deeper so I’m not surprised that the (relatively) larger bass have been on the jigs. 

I am still predicting a good June  compared to the past two seasons - ‘course if the weather suddenly goes from cool to July-hot, all bets are off. 

Pretty spotty bite for me in ffld county river mouths and out front.  Had some 'big' fish April 8th, keeper size.  Not since then for me personally, Others have gotten more keepers on the shallow flats.  Bunker are here...  Bite Is just really inconsistent, coming in waves . Wayyy different than it was last year.  I blame the crappy weather.    Albie snax with weighted screw on hook are my go-to early season bait.  +Clousers on fly, Swim shads/something weighted for when I need the weight to get down.  Fish are hitting poppers at dawn/dusk though.  Just dinks!

Got several in the western LIS today kayak fishing near structure. I have not seen a bluefish, sea robin or bunker out there yet.

239A2218-19ED-4975-9BC5-34727094E982.png

811D54BC-3897-46BD-B550-2FDCD3F94C42.png

Nice one, Caught a giant sea robin a week ago, but in RI, not CT. On topwater of all things. :kook:

Hi all new to the site, I'm in eastern CT on the CT river and mainly fish from Essex south and out in LIS via a 20' Grady White. Any suggestions for this weekend in the river\ sound,( topwater? trolling? etc) weather is finally looking good. 

On 5/14/2019 at 5:57 PM, bdowning said:

Nice one, Caught a giant sea robin a week ago, but in RI, not CT. On topwater of all things. :kook:

I figure the robins will show any day on the beaches nearest me. I'm thinking I might, when walking back from more remote locations, pick-off a few robins for the table. They're decent eating, and I'm only feeding 3 people (so 2-3 fish will do it). I enjoy all types of fishing...so why not?

One robin I caught was in a raging river current on a 8" metal ip...that one surprised me.

LOTS of fish moving in for me this week, but they still don't seem to have much size to them. Must have caught over 20 last night with the biggest being 27 inches. Even the 20 inchers were hitting 9 inch plastic, and to my surprise a few bluefish seemed to have appeared.

Last night turned out to be a wonderfully warm and breezy evening. Fish between 12" and 33" responded nicely to a zoom fluke and lead 'tween 3/8 and 3/4 oz. After 10 fish I tried to catch on wood or floating plastic, and failed. Went back to jigs and got 2 more. River.

On 5/22/2019 at 0:57 PM, nateD said:

to my surprise a few bluefish seemed to have appeared.

Can you tell me where in non-specific terms? I want a darn blu. I'm not asking where-where...I mean something like type of area

2 hours ago, Livefreeordie said:

Last night turned out to be a wonderfully warm and breezy evening. Fish between 12" and 33" responded nicely to a zoom fluke and lead 'tween 3/8 and 3/4 oz. After 10 fish I tried to catch on wood or floating plastic, and failed. Went back to jigs and got 2 more. River.

Can you tell me where in non-specific terms? I want a darn blu. I'm not asking where-where...I mean something like type of area

Ya for sure, sent a pm