Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
drmevo

Hobie/Revo 13 upgrades and must-haves

18 posts in this topic

I'm starting to look ahead to the upcoming season and any upgrades I might want to make after picking up a 2018 Revo towards the end of last season. On the one hand I recognize that keeping it simple has its advantages, but on the other I like to try new stuff and tinker :)

Things I'm thinking about include:

-Hobie H-Crate/H-Crate Jr. with tackle bin 

-Vantage Seat accessory bag (or similar)

-Livewell V2 (for mackerel and pogies)

Things I already have:

-Turbo fins

-Sailing rudder

-larger gear bucket (bit the bullet)

-Cart (never use it)

-Fish finder

-rod holders

-drive and paddle leashes

-basic milk crate w/homemade flag/light

Are there any other upgrades you guys consider useful or must-haves? Feedback on the ones I mentioned? 

I don't wanna jinx us here in the NE but it seems like the brunt of the snow and cold weather is behind us and I'm getting a little stir crazy thinking about getting back out there :freak: 

H-crate is nice. So is the V2 livewell. Don’t get the XL, it won’t fit. I don’t have a use for the bag that attaches to the back of the seat. 

7 mins ago, drmevo said:

I'm starting to look ahead to the upcoming season and any upgrades I might want to make after picking up a 2018 Revo towards the end of last season. On the one hand I recognize that keeping it simple has its advantages, but on the other I like to try new stuff and tinker :)

Things I'm thinking about include:

-Hobie H-Crate/H-Crate Jr. with tackle bin 

-Vantage Seat accessory bag (or similar)

-Livewell V2 (for mackerel and pogies)

Things I already have:

-Turbo fins

-Sailing rudder

-larger gear bucket (bit the bullet)

-Cart (never use it)

-Fish finder

-rod holders

-drive and paddle leashes

-basic milk crate w/homemade flag/light

Are there any other upgrades you guys consider useful or must-haves? Feedback on the ones I mentioned? 

I don't wanna jinx us here in the NE but it seems like the brunt of the snow and cold weather is behind us and I'm getting a little stir crazy thinking about getting back out there :freak: 

One alternative to the live well is  "DA BAG" bunker bag, which is a mesh bag which will hold 1/2 dozen bunker and sits in the water next to the yak.

Maybe a Hobie ama. If you keep them in the up position it won’t slow you down, but it will prevent you from flipping. I flipped my revo 16 last October. This year I’m actually working on installing a single AMA and AKA from an IA. 

13 mins ago, jlapenta said:

One alternative to the live well is  "DA BAG" bunker bag, which is a mesh bag which will hold 1/2 dozen bunker and sits in the water next to the yak.

That looks interesting - does it work well for macs as well? Pogie/bunker are far from a sure thing around here, although there were a bunch last year.

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 mins ago, drudedon said:

Maybe a Hobie ama. If you keep them in the up position it won’t slow you down, but it will prevent you from flipping. I flipped my revo 16 last October. This year I’m actually working on installing a single AMA and AKA from an IA. 

I have seen those but I don't go out front a whole lot. I usually stay in protected water when the swells are forecast over 3-4ft. Do they get in the way when trolling or anything? 

Edited by drmevo

A compass could come in handy  when the fog rolls in.  I like a mesh shopping bag inside the front hatch

to hold gear. This way the gear is easy to retrieve on the water. Not a big fan of the hatch liner. Also pretty pricey.  I prefer to  secure some pool noodles below deck to prevent gear from moving around below deck.

I  rarely    use  a regular milk crate to hold extra rods and or flag or light.  I normally travel with the rear tank well empty. I try to minimize the gear I bring. Good luck with your decision. 

I have one of those Yak Attack boxes for behind the seat and stopped using it my 3rd season in.  You can still store stuff behind your seat without a box.  IMO all the box does is allow you to stack extra tackle.  Said tackle will be awkwardly behind without being able to see inside too well, some of which is now buried.  Bags of soft plastics mixed with plugs and a knife create a hazardous situation.  Besides the increased risk of flipping from twisting and reaching back, their is a high risk of snagging your hand while reaching into the unknown.  I did my best to keep that box organized, but I just didn't see the need for all that stuff.  I've been working on packing more efficiently.  Less unloading and loading and less liability out on the water.

The biggest benefit of having one would be the extra rod holders.  I usually go out with 1-3 poles and a net.

1 hour ago, bantis said:

I have one of those Yak Attack boxes for behind the seat and stopped using it my 3rd season in.  You can still store stuff behind your seat without a box.  IMO all the box does is allow you to stack extra tackle.  Said tackle will be awkwardly behind without being able to see inside too well, some of which is now buried.  Bags of soft plastics mixed with plugs and a knife create a hazardous situation.  Besides the increased risk of flipping from twisting and reaching back, their is a high risk of snagging your hand while reaching into the unknown.  I did my best to keep that box organized, but I just didn't see the need for all that stuff.  I've been working on packing more efficiently.  Less unloading and loading and less liability out on the water.

The biggest benefit of having one would be the extra rod holders.  I usually go out with 1-3 poles and a net.

I hear that. I had to remove a lot of things from my crate that I just figured I should have but either never actually used or realized I really had no need for (anchor, Plano boxes of rarely used lures, etc.). I do like the crate overall though because I use it to carry my stuff down to the launch and I need the rod holders. 

1 hour ago, cheech said:

If you extend the rear flush mount rod holders, on water access is greatly improved.

B2548B38-194B-466D-9D40-5F2A3DDAF5D4.jpeg

I like it. Is one brand pretty much as good as another?

2 hours ago, cheech said:

If you extend the rear flush mount rod holders, on water access is greatly improved.

B2548B38-194B-466D-9D40-5F2A3DDAF5D4.jpeg

Very nice. How are they attached?

For a sketchy launch or landing my rods would be flat on the deck. It’s a Hobie brand extender with a plastic tube piggybacked on to it. The Hobie’s through key holes allowed for making up the ‘just long enough’ SS fasteners and locknuts. 

14B793D7-527A-4B8A-B7F4-4BD45C6A3EA5.jpeg

22 hours ago, jlapenta said:

I second this. Don't get a livewell. It's a waste of space. DA BAG works great.