Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KarkUK

Black Hole Suzuki - 9'6" - 10' can't decide

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

My first post on the forum. I am from the UK and I target the European Sea Bass, or just plain Bass as we call them here. A few anglers here target them here from surf beaches with lures.

Would anyone here be able to describe the differences between the two rods I mention in the title please?

What is the sweet spot for both?

How much farther will they 10' cast if at all (I know, lots of variables here)?

Action faster on the 9'6?

Does one perform different tasks, i.e. is one better with a hard plastic lure (minnow) or metal or heavy soft plastic

How's are they both for Buck tailing (something I want to try over here)

I want to get as much reach (casting) as I can, but be able to throw soft plastics with jig heads up to 60g, as well as metals into the surf, to reach structure (bars, rips holes etc.). I see a lot of videos that Kil put up are from the boat, are there any where people are using these rods in full surf conditions?

I would love to know your thoughts, Any help would be great!

All the best

Kark

Both rods can handle seabass.  When anglers compare both rods at the show, majority fishermen choose 10' Black Hole Suzuki rods as the rod is lighter.

I think you would choose the 10' Suzuki rods if you have chances to compare them yourself.

The 9'6" rod has a little more backbone, but it is still light. 

I recommend not to lift fish with the 9'6" and the 10' rods as they both are light and delicate rods, especially the 10' rod.

Had the same discussion with ksong at the Ward Melville show and I opted for the 10'.  Ultimately, it came down to the ability to throw the lighter end of the range a little better.  This is going to be the rod I plan to use to target albies from the beach, and I routinely use 1/2 - 3/4 oz epoxy jigs for that.  Looking forward to getting to try it out!

I have the 10 ft. My friend Nick has the 9. Truthfully casting wise I didn't see any difference throwing 1/2 oz and 1 ounce lures. Both of us have 15 lb blues. Hes had bass to 30 lb s I ve had bass to 25 lbs. We both have 100s of albies. . I would buy the 10.

Many Thanks for the replies..

I guess I should have said I own a Shimano Dialuna, 9'6" rating 45g, this covers really well up to one ounce and just over. I use this rod for metal jigs to 40g, 30-35g being the sweet spot. It will cast soft plastics to around 38g okay, but it's not what the rod excels at.

I'm looking for a rod with a bit more grunt that is happy casting something like a 2oz Tsunami swim shad a respectable distance into surf, and for me to still be able to stay in contact at range. Is the 9'6" happy casting this, I'd hazard the 10' would be less happy in this range and would need to be wound up a lot more in the cast? 

Also interested in people's experiences with bucktails using either rod, as this is another application I would like to try. 

I've seen the videos of the fish caught on these rods, no doubt in my mind they can cope with decent fish! 

If you want to have more of a difference between your current rod and your new rod in terms of grunt and what it can throw, I would then say go with the 9'6 Suzuki

After you get the 9'6, if you like the rod, you can think about getting the 10' Suzuki to replace your light rod.