joefishnj21

Salt guys and freshwater outings.

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

About 3 years ago after a life fishing the surf and saltwater I decided to learn as much as I could about the fresh water fishery and explored NJ's various lakes and ponds. Had so much success that summer catchen some beautiful largemouth. Really was amazed by the tranquilty of the fishing. Very different from the intensity of surf fishing with regards to crowds, conditions, and equipment. Was wondering, any of you guys split your time up throughout the "peak" salt water months (April-December)? Really enjoyed that particular summer and thinken of sprinkling in a few sweetwater sessions throughout the coming season. Having grown up along the NJ coast, salt will always be my 1st love, but I definitely became hooked to the new world of freshwater. Just curious if any of you take a break from the usual routine of hunting for stripes, blues, and albis to go after large, sunnys, crappie, and other NJ freshwater fish. Good luck to all.

20150610_180536.jpg

I fish both. At times its hard to get to the salt but there always some kind of freshwater close by.  Having a huge Large mouth small a surface fly never gets old.  My previous job and current job both had a nice pond right outside and gave me the chance to fish everyday at lunch. 

I find myself enjoying the fresh water scene more and more in the last couple of years so much that I've started dividing my time equally.  The surf scene is turning into an unattractive mash up of real housewives meets project runway.   

I find my fresh water kayak excursions to be relaxing.

The surf stuff is hard work and I fell obligated to get my butt to hard to reach places when certain weather/moon/wind/tide conditions arise. 

I'm addicted to chasing striped bass, and even do it Jan and Feb. I enjoy chasing LMB, SMB, sunnies, pickerel, etc., but I don't feel obligated to keep track of where they are all year long. With the stripers, I might try 3 spots in one night trying to find out where they are, are they coming or going (migration), what bait are they 'on'; it's just hard work. And I feel like if I lose track, I might suffer several skunk nights in a row, or I could be all over them like a Greek priest on an alter boy, as long as I do my homework. IDK if it's worth it. I came close to hypothermia Saturday (just one more cast).

44 mins ago, DoorGunner said:

I live on saltwater. I manage a tackle shop on saltwater. Since January 1st I've been doing this.

DSCF5649.JPG.63a185736036ee5d095145ee3e6a9c2a.JPG

DSCF5654.JPG.81b29484e06594d299dba8cfb49a207a.JPG

IMG_1545.JPG.68ab5a4d5af6a0d8c3dad221e982e77b.JPG

Showing off your sneakers to fish?

I love me some smallie fishing with light tackle. I spent about 75% of my summer last year wet wading for smallies on the Raritan. I even bought a fiberglass fly rod for them. This year I hope to get into some decent smallies on the Big D and maybe some of the larger resident stripers there during the shad run. I grew up fishing FW so SW is very new to me and as much as I enjoy it, some of the crowds I've met are obnoxious and take away the tranquility that I enjoy. I never understood getting so close to other people who are catching fish. Only had it happen to me once in FW over the last few years. I am very much so looking forward to this season of fishing in general though. 

Grew up fishing stocked lakes for trout then moved onto lmb. Moved to moco and started fishing the surf. My timing for getting into the surf game was off. Story of my life. Better late then never. Two totally different experienced. I find fishing the surf rejuvinating. Helps provide a mental reboot. Will probably transition more to freshwater at some point if the decline of the fishery continues.

3 hours ago, crazybellringer said:

I want to catch sunnies on the fly 

Sunnies on the fly :laugh:

Try not to set the bar so high.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I live inland so I bass fish mostly. I think I prefer saltwater fishing because I prefer summer and associate salt fishing with flukin out in the Delaware Bay as a kid. Love that salty smell and all that. Sometimes you still get surprises when LMB fishing. I've caught a shad, snakehead, catfish, perch, etc while bassin. It's just easier fishing going out on a nice day and catching some bass at the creek as opposed to walking a bunch of miles in the cold and windy beach. Where I go I pretty much won't see anyone fishing. I like that.

Edited by hurricane1091

Give Shad fishing on the Delaware a try, I look forward to them like the arrival of the Bluefish.

I also like to sit back in a chair with a Beer and fish for Carp. Smallies, Pickerel, and Crappie are fun too.

i grew up on the water in toms river and now live on a lake in sussex county.  i still make a few trips to the salt water every year (bass in the spring, fluke in the summer, bass in the fall) but I fish freshwater like more than 90% of the time now.  Everything about it is easier and more relaxing.  And catching LMB on top water in the summer is a blast. poppers, spooks and frogs are so much fun fishing.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Echo a lot of what everybodies postings..It's almost like the last few years, the salt has become a grind..And that's part of the fun, absolutely..and the feeling of getting a gorilla blue or a nice striper is still unbeatable. But sometimes it's nice to scale it back...not run to a spot based on a tide or wind or a certain feed you hear about. With the lakes and ponds it's more of a come and go as you please. Little more secluded and relaxed. That being said, I'll still put a good 80 days into the salt this coming season, but mix it up with some days on a farm pond or lake just to break it up.

Edited by joefishnj21