Strong single hook for offshore bottom fishing

Rate this topic

Tourstage

43 mins ago, TopwaterPete said:

Ooof I don't think that lure works here in the NY bight or places west/southwest of CT....plus, isn't that jig considered cheating?

Haha just kidding! That's a stout looking jig. 

"isn't that jig considered cheating?"  good one:laugh::laugh:

On 15/03/2019 at 7:50 PM, Wire For Fire said:

The gami live bait hooks pretty nice and not crazy money . Think you would be dam tough to bend one out .. sharp and come in small sizes to pretty big 

yea, i bought them few days ago

thanks

32 mins ago, Tourstage said:

yea, i bought them few days ago

thanks

I’m sure they will do well .. I know sounds silly but I used Carp fish with them .. 30lbs of carp full steam through thick lilies with 50lbs braid .. they were making short work of about every hook till I found the live baits .. only down side to a thick hook bigger hole easier to fall out and thicker wire means more power needed for penetration.. but if ya hook them up in the right spot they ain’t  bending those hooks

and for what it worth the eagle claw ones not bad either , way way cheaper , equally as strong , but they rust faster which I actually prefer Incase ya break of a fish .. they don’t come as sharp but are easier to sharpen . Gamis I find tough to sharpen once that point rolls .. 

Edited by Wire For Fire

On 17/03/2019 at 8:42 AM, Wire For Fire said:

I’m sure they will do well .. I know sounds silly but I used Carp fish with them .. 30lbs of carp full steam through thick lilies with 50lbs braid .. they were making short work of about every hook till I found the live baits .. only down side to a thick hook bigger hole easier to fall out and thicker wire means more power needed for penetration.. but if ya hook them up in the right spot they ain’t  bending those hooks

and for what it worth the eagle claw ones not bad either , way way cheaper , equally as strong , but they rust faster which I actually prefer Incase ya break of a fish .. they don’t come as sharp but are easier to sharpen . Gamis I find tough to sharpen once that point rolls .. 

woah such heavy duty for carp?

yea i know thicker shank need stronger hook set. I've been using eagle claw previously but they dont last, just 1 trip i can see rust already

well, i lost a good size grouper when my hook open up, not gonna let that happen again and most often ppl overlook that hooks is crucial when something big come along cos u will nv know whats gonna bite

Hard to beat the Gamakatsu Live Bait hook:

If you need them stronger they make a heavy duty live bait hook that you could probably tow a truck with:

Already mentioned above was the Owner Gorilla, another close to indestructible hook:

Another good choice is Mustad's 4X Hoodlum:

Lots of good choices out there :)

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

12 hours ago, TimS said:

Hard to beat the Gamakatsu Live Bait hook:

If you need them stronger they make a heavy duty live bait hook that you could probably tow a truck with:

Already mentioned above was the Owner Gorilla, another close to indestructible hook:

Another good choice is Mustad's 4X Hoodlum:

Lots of good choices out there :)

TimS

thanks Tim, but i have limited choices over at my side.

searching for Owner gorilla but not avail

Yea spos , as big as you can get away with .. trying the tsunami centros this year.. I ordered #5 which was like 200+ lbs , they came way smaller then expected, next time I’m go #1 or 1/0 ... but I put one those #5s in the vice and really pulled and twisted in with pair of linesman’s .. held strong ... so we shall see