Baccigalup

Remember when..........

Rate this topic

121 posts in this topic

ice cream motorcycle man went by and used its specific sounding horn, and even accepted eggs for payment

2 eggs 1 ball of icecream

3 hours ago, Baccigalup said:

.....the verrazano bridge had token booths and you could flip a quarter and get through.

Yes! This I do remember! 

......Brooklyn streets were lit up on fourth of July.  Every block had a show of m80s and cherrybombs and bandeliers and mortars.  When the cops came by all the guys stopped and stood on their stoops and as soon as they passed the show started again

55 mins ago, Baccigalup said:

......Brooklyn streets were lit up on fourth of July.  Every block had a show of m80s and cherrybombs and bandeliers and mortars.  When the cops came by all the guys stopped and stood on their stoops and as soon as they passed the show started again

That ended during the Guiliani administration, that night we would just go from fire to fire. It would start as soon as it got dark and we ran all night. I think it was '94 that we caught a fatal fire around 3 in the morning, 3 elderly people all died of smoke inhalation within ten feet of the front door to their house. The worst part was there were reports that their grandchildren had stayed over and were asleep in the upstairs bedrooms. Luckily their parents had gotten them earlier in the night. Terrible tragedy caused by a bottle rocket that landed in the rain gutter full of dry dead leaves, after that 4th the Police really put an end to the crazy firework displays that we used to have in Brooklyn. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Penny candy, you'd pick out what you wanted from the little bins. Each piece was a penny, you could go in with a quarter and come out with enough candy to support your sugar addiction for the day.

Edited by PCstriper

3 mins ago, PCstriper said:

That ended during the Guiliani administration, that night we would just go from fire to fire. It would start as soon as it got dark and we ran all night. I think it was '94 that we caught a fatal fire around 3 in the morning, 3 elderly people all died of smoke inhalation within ten feet of the front door to their house. The worst part was there were reports that their grandchildren had stayed over and were asleep in the upstairs bedrooms. Luckily their parents had gotten them earlier in the night. Terrible tragedy caused by a bottle rocket that landed in the rain gutter full of dry dead leaves, after that 4th the Police really put an end to the crazy firework displays that we used to have in Brooklyn. 

On my grandmother's block they always had hoses ready.  I remember a few roofs sparking and the hose patrol was ready.  They were crazy but responsible.  At the end of the night they would always broom sweep it all. cleaning ritual was sweeping all the debri into a garbage can and dousing it in gas and letting the duds go off.  Ya never knew what was gonna fly out of there.     Miss those days

2 mins ago, Baccigalup said:

Bazooka Joe bubble gum with the comic strips for a wrapper.  You'd break your teeth chewing the stuff.

Lost many a filling to Bazooka Joe !  Great stuff  !!!

Too much coffee driving home now I'm wired up

Every house in the neighborhood had a clothes line in their back yard.

......every neighborhood had a few small public metal mailboxes hanging from a telephone pole on a street corner.  The postman would check it everyday and get pissed because kids would "mail" their used ice cream sticks in there.

.......stickball was the neighborhood thing to play.

........your friends never rang the bell. Instead they just stood in front of your house and screamed your name till you came out.

......beat cops were a thing in every neighborhood.

....when the rains flooded the streets the all the kids in the neighborhood  got their tubes out and went swimming.

5 hours ago, Baccigalup said:

......the milkman would deliver the milk (in bottles)  from his truck and all the kids lined up to get a piece of ice to suck on.

When my dad was a milkman he was back at the barn (literally) before the kids got out of bed. I rode shotgun in his DIVCOs from age 5 - 9. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

We had milk, bread and donuts delivered every morning back in the 1960’s-70’s. In the evening you had the huckster driving his old truck selling fruits and veggies. Then the Jack and Jill ice cream and the water ice man followed by the mosquito truck spraying his fog of DDT that we all drove through on are bikes before the sun went down.  Ah...... the good ole days!

Edited by Firinne