Capt.Castafly

Most Influential, No! Most Important, Yes!

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

OK!  Most Influential.... we have that going on now in several categories here, what book? Who got us started? What's motivates us,  etc.?

All that adds to our reference and experience may help or make us believe we are going to be better, more successful fishermen.

But let's cut through all this BS. We know at the end of the day a successful trip is how we catch. That's the litmus test.

Do we have the persona, the mojo, the magic to make it happen? This is were we go to the dark side, lady luck, reaching out to the fish gods on every fishing trip.

Forget the rods, boot, reels, license, that's stuff we always bring. I'm thinking the lucky things we take along to make sure magic happens. It may be a hat, favorite color jacket, pliers in the right pocket, special pin, .... what ever?

Mine would be my lucky hat. It has no history behind it except that I served in the military and I'm proud to wear it.  I've had some lucky days over the years wearing that so I seem to equate that with special luck. 

Is there a lucky practice you follow? Any special ritual you go through, any thing you wear, prayers, dancing gestures, fist pumps or fish pumps, music?   

I think it would be fun to know what your routine is?  

IMG_0322.JPG

I don't comb or brush my hair before going fishing.

Don't remember how it started but it's been going on since the 80s.

I've lots of great memories attached to this fly and the man that had a huge impact on me . It's traveled with me since 66 or 67 . I wish I could put it to words I really do . Suffice it to say times without it on me have been some of the worse fishing excursions I've ever had . 

P3110007_LI.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have no real lucky stuff, but I always say a prayer of thanks for the privilege of being in the most beautiful place I know. It works for me, even if I get skunked. Most influential "book" was an article in I think Field and Stream that I read at the local Boys Club in maybe 1967. Didn't get picked when they chose sides for basketball (I'll admit it, I sucked) and I found this article. I had a fly rod and no idea how to use it and the article had a line drawing of a fly called the Tomah Joe. I'd been trying to cast seaworms on the fly line, didn't work out. Went home and tied my first fly with a butchered Barbie Doll, instant addiction. I'll never know who wrote that article but I owe them a lifetime of thanks.

Edited by stormy monday
senility?

If I caught fish on the previous trip, I play the same music on the next trip.  If not, on to a different album.  And If I take the skunk more that twice in a row, I crank Steve Earle's CCKMP (cocaine cannot kill my pain) on repeat.

While driving to my one of my spots at night....if I see a deer on the side of the road....i know it will be a good night.  Not a dead roadkill deer....a live deer.  I always look.  I'm sure it has zero to do with everything else...tide, bait, wind etc....but I always feel good after I see a deer.   And I've always caught after seeing one. 

If I'm leaving on a long drive to a fishing spot I like to start off with "Foggy Mountain Breakdown" and end the drive with  "The Kesh Jig".  These days when I leaving early I have a playlist of Marches starting off with "Colonel Bogey's March".  Helps to get my blood flowing.  I haven't washed my fishing vest since I brought it several years ago.  I have two hats I wear either my CFR hat or my USNS Sacagawea hat.  What I've been doing the longest is when I get to where I'm fishing I like to spend 10 to 15 minutes observing the water whether its creek, river, lake or ocean.

I have 2 hats for fishing from shore. If I caught last time out I keep wearing the same hat. If skunked I change hats next time out.

I have different hats for sight casting and for trout fishing that aren’t in the rotation.

No superstitions, because I don't give a damn about anything else when I'm heading out fishing. My mom always told me that my grandfather used to hold me on his lap when I was a baby, and tell me about how he was going to take me fishing in Maine. He died when I was 2 years old, but I learned to fish at the lake that he built a cabin on before he died. I was catching bluegills off the dock at two. When I was about 10 I tied some flies (I don't think you can really call them flies) with some #8 worm hooks and some materials from my grandmother's sewing kit (and the bathroom rug) using my other grandfather's visegrips as a vise, and caught some tiny native brook trout and a pickerel frog in the brook behind their house in New Hampshire dangling them from a spinning rod. A fe years later girlfriend's father taught me how to fly fish in the brooks and beaver ponds, and I eventually graduated to saltwater.  

On 3/27/2019 at 10:33 PM, On The Rocks said:

While driving to my one of my spots at night....if I see a deer on the side of the road....i know it will be a good night.  Not a dead roadkill deer....a live deer.  I always look.  I'm sure it has zero to do with everything else...tide, bait, wind etc....but I always feel good after I see a deer.   And I've always caught after seeing one. 

We used to count rabbits on the side of the parkway on the ride to the lake.

The more rabbits the better we did.

Come fall & winter we'd striper fish by some pretty notorious projects during the crack epidemic.

The more hookers we'd see, the more fish we would catch.

Can't make this stuff up....