Sweetwater

13 oz Striper rod.

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I have been wanting to build an ultra light striper rod- a back bay rod. I finally put it together. I found a 9' blank rated 8-20 that weighs 3 oz, and added a reel seat and a 1.75" eva butt and some small eva trim. Then I wrapped it with an acid wrap that started with a #8 double foot to two #6 transition guides and a run of 8 #5 single foot guides. 

I got a Revo from the bst that holds 180 yds of 12# mono, so I should get around 225 of 10# Fireline, which will be fine. The reel weighs 6.8 oz, and it looks tiny compared to what I generally think about striper gear.  I won't be pushing it's engineering, though, so it should hold up fine. 

All told, I have built an outfit that will do everything from soft plastics to small wood that weighs in just under 13 ounces for rod, reel and line. I'm pretty happy with that. 

Sounds sweet, I just got my hands on a 108-3 this winter and I haven't got a chance to take it out yet but I'm already eyeing my friends Slingshot 965, it looks like a sweet.rod at a fraction of the weight of a lamiglas

I use a combo that is <10oz for the kayak and have a surf combo that is 12oz. Love it. Still prefer my vsx150 and ODM out front (23oz), but in certain applications, these others will land most fish to 35" without issue. And that is without compromising any time or pressue I can put on the fish.

Sounds cool. Congrats. I'm curious how acid wrapping affects castability. I've only used them for jigging or bottom fishing, and never really casted with it except just pitching away from the boat. Does the acid wrap layout have any effect on casting distance, positive or negative?

Good luck with the rod.

Acid wrapping does nothing for distance. It does allow me to cheat my guide placements by putting the line underneath the rod. I would have needed much tigher spacing to keep the line off the rod had I wrapped conventionally. 

1 hour ago, Sweetwater said:

Acid wrapping does nothing for distance. It does allow me to cheat my guide placements by putting the line underneath the rod. I would have needed much tigher spacing to keep the line off the rod had I wrapped conventionally. 

Thanks!

On 3/10/2019 at 7:10 PM, 55555s said:

You have to report back after some use.   IMO It sounds great.   

Oh.  And pics.  

Here you go:DCDE9CB0-62B8-4215-A18C-AA359EEAC817.jpeg.e2c25a31c492be79d3a11394d70e1f29.jpeg

I have fished it twice. I have some made some tweaks. I am hoping this will dial it in. Final weight, rod, reel, line and snap is 12.6 oz. 

My first tweak was to reset my transition guides because I had an eye not engaging. Because an acid wrap moves the line you can get places where the line and the rod are nearly parallel under tension. I manage these spaces by making sure all the guides in the transition are engaging the line, and I had to move my third guide out to get to make contact. I also changed the second guide from a 6 double foot to an 8 double to move the line further away from the rod so it wouldn't touch the rod. 

My second adjustment was to rebuild my reel. My bearings were gummy and I was having to push my casts. I also took out the magnetic backlash control. To my way of thinking, no matter how far turned off it is, it is still background static that will stall my casts. 

Then I stepped up my line from 8 to 10# Fireline. The 8 would have been fine for a 12-17# leader and should have improved my casts, but couldn't catch a backlash- I broke off about 20 feet into the cast. I know the slightly thicker 10# will hold. It will also dump the reel quicker, which should help on the end of casts. 

I haven't caught on it yet, but that is kind of ok. We have had some heavy water and I have had my hands full with my heavier gear. I built this rod for calmer condtions than I have encountered. 

Dayum!  

Sweet, and it appears you are REALLY tuned into exactly what you are after.  Which, irrespective of what hobby, is always cool to see.

It is a Jann's Netcraft IM6 that turned out to be a Pac Bay Tradition II. They have two- one 1/2-2 1/2 and 1-4. I got the lighter of the two. With guides, seat and handle, it was @ $75. 

This blank is pretty fast, which helps with the weight, because a faster rod has a more dramatic taper than a moderate one. It is not a rod I would have chosen normally because I prefer a more traditional surf-style taper. 

I fished it tonight fully modified and it did much better. Without the mag the reel was tame with two pins free and just a touch loose with one. The heavier line behaved better, but I will try the 8# Fireline when I get more comfortable.

I am now getting close to some of my other rods with distance. It looks like the sweet spot is 1 1/4- 1 1/2 oz, and I am throwing 1/2 oz, so ok. I'll play with my drop and timing and should get a bit better. 

7FAC6BCD-0028-4A85-8204-DD658F022C0A.jpeg.8ed612a49448eb815344c7b94df7db7e.jpeg

I got this one last Tuesday on my mb1083, but didn't take

pictures last night of fish on the light rod. 

I got a couple up to 10 pounds or so on the rod last night. The rod did fine on the longer runs and open water, but I had a fit prying the fish out of the current at my feet. It will be fine in other conditions. 

My casts are still off. I need to go back over my reel- it had trouble until a little moisture got in the bearings, which means I need to soak them some more. 

I built a sister rod to this one with a spinning layout and my buddy used it. He did better casting lighter stuff but I caught up and could put anything over 3/4 oz as far as he could. 

On 3/10/2019 at 7:09 PM, CoffeeHangover said:

Sounds sweet, I just got my hands on a 108-3 this winter and I haven't got a chance to take it out yet but I'm already eyeing my friends Slingshot 965, it looks like a sweet.rod at a fraction of the weight of a lamiglas

I had the slingshot and found you have to really load that rod . You will get same if not better performance with less effort from the ODM Genesis . This rod is  less expensive than the ODM Frontier but loads easier, actually effortless. I would try before I buy ..