Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ErikT

Boeing 737 Max 8 - 2nd crash in 8 months

Rate this topic

672 posts in this topic

This last year I overcame a serious fear of flying that used to paralyze me and I drove everywhere. Since October I’ve taken 6 flights and I’m proud of it. 

My thoughts recently have been around technology and connected aircraft. What used to be mechanical and pilot skill, is now some of the same but there’s a **** ton more Automation involved now. I think THAT makes it safer to travel as the plane automatically makes adjustments that perhaps a pilot would’ve had to do in the past. However, being in IT, I understand that software can and will fail from time to time for one reason or another. 

I’m wondering if the new 737 max 8 is too connected or too automated, making it easy for anyone (Mr. Robot) to hack into the software or perhaps allowing too much control over basic aeronautics.  

Ethiopian Air crashes today...  2 of these “new planes” crashed in the last 8 months. And Ethiopian Airlines is a Highly reputable airline. 

As a PP I used to read the NTSB reports on crashes. Invariably pilot error is to blame for crashes. The other item that springs out is that the most likely time for a problem is takeoff and like the next 4 mins or so because there are usually very few choices and very little time to pick the least worst of those choices.

Todays modern aircraft have become so automated that the aircraft will actually land itself if the airport has the necessary equipment. The only things the pilots need to do is hit the brakes and thrust reversers.

All of these automated systems can be shut off by the pilots and the plane flown manually.

Just now, bridgerat said:

I’m hoping for pilot error...,again. BA is my highest performing stock in my portfolio YTD. Don’t wanna see negative news.

Too late for that.

3 hours ago, ErikT said:

This last year I overcame a serious fear of flying that used to paralyze me and I drove everywhere. Since October I’ve taken 6 flights and I’m proud of it. 

You're still far more likely to be involved in a car crash driving to the airport than to be in a plane crash.

Flying is relatively safe but is something goes wrong well... your way up there however nearly every major function on a plane has a backup

18 mins ago, Sandflee said:

Flying is relatively safe but is something goes wrong well... your way up there however nearly every major function on a plane has a backup

If you are 'way up there' you are golden . Altitude is everything. Short of a major failure if I have altitude I could probably get a BJ and have a snack before I have to do anything. It is when you don't have altitude that you run out of options. That five minute window, Take off-> Altitude is stay frosty time. Landing is next because again you are low and slow but by an large you are already set up to go down when landing. I had engine failure while on final once and it was the best landing ever because I was REALLY paying attention :laugh:.

Posted (edited) · Report post

My point is these planes are NEW and advertised as being pilot friendly, meaning there’s very little transition into this new plane for all current commercial Boeing pilots out there. They don’t require a lot of training in the simulator to know how to fly the damn thing. 

Crystal clear day, spanking new plane, plummet to earth.  Nice job Boeing. Someone at that company needs to be held accountable. 

Ethiopian Air has grounded all of the MAX 8’s. 

China has ground ALL MAX 8’s 

Edited by ErikT

1 hour ago, ErikT said:

My point is these planes are NEW and advertised as being pilot friendly, meaning there’s very little transition into this new plane for all current commercial Boeing pilots out there. They don’t require a lot of training in the simulator to know how to fly the damn thing. 

Crystal clear day, spanking new plane, plummet to earth.  Nice job Boeing. Someone at that company needs to be held accountable. 

Ethiopian Air has grounded all of the MAX 8’s. 

China has ground ALL MAX 8’s 

Co-pilot with only 200 hours? Nice job Ethiopian Airlines. Pilot was probably in the bar before flight and gave takeoff to an inexperienced co-pilot. 

See? just as easy to guess it wasn’t the airplane.

Posted (edited) · Report post

"Nervous?'

"Yeah"

"First time?"

No, I've been nervous lots of times."

tenor.gif

Edited by Little