Albieaddict

FL to ME in early May - Where to stop and fish?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I'll be driving my skiff back from sunny Islamorada during the first week of May on the return of a tarpon trip. If you could pick any stretch of the coast to stop and fish, where would it be?

No points are awarded for saying "Islamorada, FL" because that is the obvious choice. But I am looking to break up the long drive back and fish a day or half day.

My preference is for sight fishing opportunities!

AA

I was also going to say SC - Beaufort or Charleston since you have a boat, but I would add a caveat (and I've only been shore fishing) that a lot of places I've seen guides sight fishing look like they require some pretty good knowledge of the waterways and (especially!) tides.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Harkers Island.  You want scenery; you got scenery.  I believe albies are going in the other direction, Spanish are around, gator blues....

Edited by titleguy

How was the tarpon trip ? 

Will be in Fort Lauderdale end of March, is it possible to get to Islamorada from there for a one day trip with a guide ?

thanks

It would be hard to resist those marshgrass reds in Northern Florida (Jacksonville) all the way up to Charleston. Savannah, St. Simons Island........man there's a lot of great redfish water. The guys at Black Fly (Jacksonville Beach) would be a great resource.

Cheers,

Mike

48 mins ago, Poulin said:

How was the tarpon trip ? 

Will be in Fort Lauderdale end of March, is it possible to get to Islamorada from there for a one day trip with a guide ?

thanks

Poulin: It's an hour and twenty with no traffic. I would be leaving by 3am to make sure I was down at the launch in time.