bart1

Pliers

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

50 mins ago, captahab416 said:

you don't need pliers to cut thru a beefy hook. Leave something in your car just in case to cut a hook. 

Nope, I keep my hook cutter with me and not in a vehicle.Years ago learned a hard lesson when I had to walk off the beach and away from a big school of stripers because I didn't have anything that could cut a hook with me. A treble had been driven into my thumb by a small striper and I had no tool to help myself with. Fishing was over and I had to get to the hospital. It's not that much of a burden to carry the cutters.

12 hours ago, valentine said:

I believe some of the high end pliers have the guts to make a cut through a beefy hook. But, I have never seen anything cut a hook like something made  from high carbon tool steel. To me, the most important reason I carry a tool capable of cutting a hook is in case I have to get a hook out of my own hide. In that regard, I keep a pair of small Knipex bolt cutters in my bag. They are wrapped in an oily cloth and sealed in a zip lock bag. Rust is not an issue because of the way I store them and there are no fishing pliers made by that can cut a hook the way those babies can. 

I hit my pliers with a little gear grease often then put it right back in the sheath. Good to go.

To cut hooks I keep a pair of Harbor Freight 12 inch bolt cutter in my car trunk...  Many times I have given my bolt cutter to associates to take with them to the hospital to us to help cut out hooks...I always keep them in a plastic ziplock clean and dry...They cut through hooks like a knife cutting through butter..

I picked up a pair of cheapo ($16) Tsunami Pliers a few years back thinking that I'll blow them out or loose them and it's ok for sub $20 but they're still going strong today even with 0 maintenance. 

I’ve carried a pair of Donarts for years, basic cleaning and maintenance and they’re still going strong. Just picked up a set of P-Lines on the cheap, very light which can be good and bad, we’ll see how they hold up. For cutting hooks I have a set of Sargent 9” commercial fishing pliers (no longer made) that cut through 12/0 hooks like butter. I also keep a pair of Knipex mini bolt cutters in the truck. I like being prepared.

On 3/13/2019 at 10:24 PM, valentine said:

Nope, I keep my hook cutter with me and not in a vehicle.Years ago learned a hard lesson when I had to walk off the beach and away from a big school of stripers because I didn't have anything that could cut a hook with me. A treble had been driven into my thumb by a small striper and I had no tool to help myself with. Fishing was over and I had to get to the hospital. It's not that much of a burden to carry the cutters.

This is really smart and a great point, going to start carrying cutters with me