bart1

Pliers

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I’ve been looking to purchase handsom 8 inch pliers but everywhere they are unavailable. Are they no longer being sold and made? If so what other pliers have people used and liked? I know the VS is the way to go but liking for other options before spending $350. I use Manley’s and love them but the rust becomes and issue when fishing in the water. Tight lines!!!!

Posted (edited) · Report post

25 mins ago, bart1 said:

I’ve been looking to purchase handsom 8 inch pliers but everywhere they are unavailable. Are they no longer being sold and made? If so what other pliers have people used and liked? I know the VS is the way to go but liking for other options before spending $350. I use Manley’s and love them but the rust becomes and issue when fishing in the water. Tight lines!!!!

cheepest chrome plated,beter stainles steel,if i had 100 milion i will not pay  $350 for pliers,it is me,i am not teling you what you have to do.

i am looking thrue value..

homedepo nicle plated $14

rapala stainles $19

Edited by snag777

I bought a pair of the new Danco all titanium pliers for less than half what the VSs cost, lifetime guaranty, I have not been able to use them yet but they seem very well made and the sheath is very nice also.  

On March 10, 2019 at 4:56 PM, snag777 said:

cheepest chrome plated,beter stainles steel,if i had 100 milion i will not pay  $350 for pliers,it is me,i am not teling you what you have to do.

i am looking thrue value..

homedepo nicle plated $14

rapala stainles $19

I'm with you brother! No boutique pliers for me. I'd surely lose them. I'll stick to the cheapies I've been using for years. Yeah, they rust a bit but a quick wire brush job once or twice per season and a couple of shots of WD-40 keeps them functioning as good as they ever did. They don't look too pretty but they're certainly functional and I'll never have to worry about someone swiping them. Plus, they were so inexpensive that I'll probably never lose them. They'll stay with me forever and mark me as the guy with cheap pliers. 

6 hours ago, MacCTD said:

I bought a pair of the new Danco all titanium pliers for less than half what the VSs cost, lifetime guaranty, I have not been able to use them yet but they seem very well made and the sheath is very nice also.  

I'll be doing the same. They're sold out most places online but I'm waiting for my local shop to get some in. The 6.5" look like a great buy.

I have a couple of pairs of Donnmar  Stainless Steel (real stainless) Pliers in 2 sizes. The light pair is over 20 years old and the heavy pair for over 15. At the end of the season I rinse them off in the salt water and come spring they are ready to go... Did the cheap plier thing for many years and got sick of reaching for pliers that took 2 hands to open... Not cheap, but not overpriced for what they are. I will say that I use very good zingers on both of them and glad I do, hate to lose them...

Ive had a cheap pair of P-line pliers that have stood up to some decent abuse over the last 5 years. Little WD-40 here and there and they keep ticking. Think I paid $15 for them 

I have a pair of accurate pliers. Pretty sure they rebranded them under a new name. Theyre like 100 bucks and made out of aluminum. They So unbelievably awesome. Id love to get a pair of VS pliers but i can already tell im going tk have the accurates for life. I would absolutely take a look at them, plus theyre less than a third of the price of the VS ones. Ive had mine for maybe 7 years now and not a problem

I got tsunami aluminum pliers.  40 buck if that.  I rinse them when done.

Even if I did buy designer pliers,  I'd rinse them off.  So, the aluminum work for me just fine...

I rinse off both my nice and cheap stuff when done regardless.

Edited by salt deficient

16 hours ago, Stripernut1 said:

I have a couple of pairs of Donnmar  Stainless Steel (real stainless) Pliers in 2 sizes. The light pair is over 20 years old and the heavy pair for over 15. At the end of the season I rinse them off in the salt water and come spring they are ready to go... Did the cheap plier thing for many years and got sick of reaching for pliers that took 2 hands to open... Not cheap, but not overpriced for what they are. I will say that I use very good zingers on both of them and glad I do, hate to lose them...

I was looking at this brand but seem to only see the ones for $250. I did see one pair for $150 but they seem to be sold out everywhere. I’m so tired of cheap pliers. I bought the bubba pliers, pretty good but not heavy duty, good for fluke fishing and smaller hooks got a little twist in them unhooking bigger blues and bass in the surf. I’m having hard time coming to grips spending $350 on pliers but I fish a lot and they will be well used. 

Just don't buy the aluminum pliers.  They all pretty much s@@@.  When you put some torque on them they shift out of alignment.  I had a pair of Hansom's, used them twice and sold them. I am back to my old $5.00 stainless pliers.

Edited by 27conch
spelling

20 hours ago, 27conch said:

Just don't buy the aluminum pliers.  They all pretty much s@@@.  When you put some torque on them they shift out of alignment.  I hand a pair of Hansom's, used them twice and sold them. I am back to my old $5.00 stainless pliers.

+1.

Go cheap, $5, take care of them. Throw away. Next season, Go cheap, $5, take care of them, repeat.

Unless an expensive pair of pliers can cut through a big treble hook that's stuck in someone's hand, cheap has never failed me. Good luck.

8 hours ago, Nite_Bite_00 said:

+1.

Go cheap, $5, take care of them. Throw away. Next season, Go cheap, $5, take care of them, repeat.

Unless an expensive pair of pliers can cut through a big treble hook that's stuck in someone's hand, cheap has never failed me. Good luck.

I believe some of the high end pliers have the guts to make a cut through a beefy hook. But, I have never seen anything cut a hook like something made  from high carbon tool steel. To me, the most important reason I carry a tool capable of cutting a hook is in case I have to get a hook out of my own hide. In that regard, I keep a pair of small Knipex bolt cutters in my bag. They are wrapped in an oily cloth and sealed in a zip lock bag. Rust is not an issue because of the way I store them and there are no fishing pliers made by that can cut a hook the way those babies can. 

Edited by valentine