Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BroadSoundBound

Clearwater Florida March trip

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Heading down to Clearwater beach Florida for a family vacation with some much needed fishing mixed in. Doing a half day charter with Orvis endorsed guide Dan Malzone for some fly and light tackle spin action. Planning on fishing most mornings from shore early morning before the family wakes up. Hopefully snook from the beach. Anyone familiar with the Clearwater / St. Petersburg area? Planning on bringing an 8 weight and a small travel spin rod. Any advice or recommendations are appreciated! 

I would recommend going to the skyway fishing pier for groupers and other fish, however you only have a small travel and a fly rod............. , I was in Clearwater in December and I would just find some random places there and I would catch trout and sheep head, snook and snappers 

I'm sure Dan will share some local target areas after your guided trip . He is on the water most . Walk the beach  cast parrell to the shore line about 3' -6 ' don't stand in the water or have your am shadow on the water 15-20 lb braid attach it ( double -uni knot  to about 24 "  floro leader get a few sm spools of Yo-Zuri fluorocarbon leader or something similar 20, 30 & 35 play around to see what works ( when you lose a Snook or Mackrell on a bite off you will know why you want something to resist their Gill plate )   get a few MirroLure twitchbait , DOA Swimbait 1/8 or 1/4 oz in white / pearl  Mirrolure knot  or Loop knot ,  get a Zara Spook = white , shorten your leader to about 4' -6 " so it don't sink in the water .  NOTE : If your travel rod is one of them telescope cheep jobs forget it leave it home  get a four piece travel rated 1/4 oz - 1oz    

Posted (edited) · Report post

The St. Croix tidemaster travel rod is a great recommendation or the Legend Trek travel

Edited by ACFishing

I am in good shape with gear, I have a Cabela's Salt Striker 3 piece travel spin rod paired with a stardic 2500. I'm also bringing an Allen 8 weight with floating line. Both set ups break down and fit in the smaller rod tubes. It looks like shrimp imitations and small bait fish will be what to throw. This trip is really getting me amped up considering its currently snowing again! Cant wait to be barefoot fishing!